How To Make - Fiction with Jerome Isma-Ae / 563

How do you send tracks back and forth? He’s a Logic user and you’re a Cubase user, so how do you make that work?

Awesome course guys !

When Jerome lived in LA we would work in the same studio off two different setups and literally just pass a USB containing bounced stems to one another; now, with him being in Houston it’s essentially the same thing but through an online server. Sometimes, if he wants to to tweak a sequence specifically I’ll send him the preset of whichever synth was used and all FX insert settings that accompany that sound.

He [almost] always arranges the final mixdown on his rig. This way, I’m onto belting the next ideas whilst he’s finalizing the current track. It’s a super-efficient workflow; by the time I get back the first draft of the master, he receives from me the first draft of a brand-new track that I started during that time.

This is super useful information. I wish there were more information out there on how to collaborate successfully with others. Sounds like not letting your ego get in the way is a big part of it.

I’m very happy to hear this and even more grateful to know about the ego bit; I only had one release (with Gareth Emery) before J and I linked up. I was virtually (and by all accounts, still) unknown but he gave me a shot at working on a track together. He knew I was one of his biggest fans and today we look at each other as equals (that is, in terms of production prowess). I have to say — our first session together I was nervous as hell and scared to pieces. Fast-forward to now and I’m dictating things I feel don’t sit well in a production or offering criticism where I see fit. The greater point here is being honest and true about your instincts, especially when working in a collaborative environment. Don’t ever be a ‘yes-man’ because you’re working with a legend or, if you’re doing solo work — dont just ‘look-the-other-way”/settle with your doubts for the sake of moving on and completing a track. You should love every part or piece of your track, if you have doubts about even a single sound — don’t be scared to create more work for yourself until you’re happy.

I mentioned here before how I’ll send ideas to Jerome that initially sound like ‘film scores’ before he takes over. If you guys think it’ll help for me to share some examples of these original demos before they became tracks you might be familiar with — I’ll go through the trouble of uploading them!

@Fisshkreli That’s really cool to hear about how you and Jerome evolved over time! Of course I would love to see more on your cinematic film score like sounds, they’re often the best part of the track

有所收获

My remix is ready to be uploaded as of feb 15th but the remix competition link says it’s over =/ . I really want to enter this one.

There was an admin error, it is back open now until midnight on the 16th!

Sickk! Very cool tutorial! I wish I had logged on earlier to enter the competition. Look forward to future tutorials by you guys :slight_smile:

when is the deadline for remix competition guys ??

iv only just signed up to SA :smiley:

Hey, unfortunately that remix competition is now closed. We have a Shadow Chronicles running at the mo ( protoculture ) and a massive new one coming in a few weeks !!

Thanks Chris

i’ll keep a look out for them in the coming weeks !

why the velocities of the notes are full high ?

Wow! Jerome & Alaster are amazing. Thank you for this.

Thanks for sharing You’re Production techniques,

I should be earlier to start a Tutorial Subscription,
in stead of scrolling everyday to all those synth gear sites en forums
And Please make more advanced video tutorials, from the Real Producers, from Real Tracks,

Awesome. Thanks!

Nice

So Simple but so powerful.