How To Make - IDM with Kirk Degiorgio / 703

MeldaProduction MAutoDynamicEQ is 70% off at pluginboutique until May 1st!

I’m only getting back into DAW music making again, but back in the early 2000’s I used to lean heavily on Sascha Eversmeier’s free plugins (http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=1). He now works for U-He, but check out his Endorphin mastering compressor plugin which is very nice with lots of control. Obviously only 32 bit, but still sparkles a mix. My personal favourite is still his Dominion Signal Modelling plugin. Perfect for analogue tube/tape modelling.

Cool, thx again :wink:

Hi Mr Kirk, what’s the name of the artist(s) you mentioned during the introduction ?
I love the “Early European Techno” episode from Sound Obsession, is it still possible to listen to it as it now seems unavailable from Red Bull Radio ?

I bought the 6144 EQ from DDMF that will suit the job. They also have a Strip plugin :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @KirkDegiorgio

What similar settings to UA Studer would you recommend for Waves J37 or recommend any alternative tape emulation plugin which can be bought separately (i.e. non-UA)?

Thanks a lot for this course @KirkDegiorgio !

Brilliant tutorial for this excellent track bringing this genre back under the spotlights again.

Solid workflow & very well explained audio processing & choices as well as valuable background information about real gears choices & usage at the time. Explaining the musical components/elements of such tracks was also very informative & interesting.

Thanks for clarifying why you choose to normalize all tracks before exporting BTW, that was indeed not very clear to all in some previous tutorials.

Very pleased to see you using the PolyM Soft-Synth from Xils-Lab, it’s really a gorgeous sounding emulation of the Poly-Moog. You should check their emulation of the EMS VCS3 & a never released EMS VSC4 (Xils 3 & Xils 4 Plugins). I really wish Sonic Academy could make some tutorials on Xils-Lab products, they sound terrific.

And finally, since you asked to be corrected if wrong, no, the original TR-808 percussive sound was indeed named after “Maracas” & not “Cabasa”, I think there was a “Cabasa” sound on the TR-727 drum machine.

Thank you again for this great track & course.
Cheers !

Hi KRASNV - that particular setting is from Mastering Engineer Stephen Smiths custom collection of Ultralinear presets for UAD Studer. He has chosen the flattest possible reponses across the freq range for each tape type/speed. It allows you to use the Studer for its more subtle glueing and saturation rather than emphasising certain frequencies. So I would choose as flat/neutral settings/tape choice as possible with the J37 - although this being a vintage Abbey Road piece it possible its more charactful by nature. I have the J37 - I have mainly used it as a tape delay actually - but I’ll try and spend some time with it and try it in the same way I use the Studer. I’ll try and report back! Thx for your interest.

1 Like

thx for clarifying - it is indeed called Maracas :slight_smile: thx for the comments - much appreciated!!!

1 Like

@KirkDegiorgio
Thank you! I also have Elektron’s Analogue Heat, which also has saturation mode. If you have experience in using it could you please share, I will appreciate it very much. (ps Everytime I come to Propaganda Moscow I like to see your name on the poster in the hall (“ACT VI” release poster)).

Thanks for this :slight_smile:

I’ve had scaler for about a year now and never really got my head around it. But that simple guide you had gave me a new perspective. Very useful.

And that tape emulation was solid stuff !

Thanks for this excellent tutorial.

Great tutorial. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m existing

Thank You Sir Degiorgio @KirkDegiorgio

Awesome tutorial, especially when Kirk goes over his process for mastering, tape emulation, and mixdown… this definitely changed the way I’m doing things moving forward.

This is my first Sonic Academy course I’m doing and I couldn’t choose one better. I’m halfway through, but I learned so much in such small time. Lots of inspiring tips here and there!

Really like this tutorial the only thing I would like to have seen more of is some creation of patches rather than using existing ones.

I understand both the reasons for and against this.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for more tutorials in the future!

Ok, this course looks great. I’ll try to start with it.

1 Like

Master Class!

1 Like