How To Make - It Is What It Isn't with Julian Gray / 644

Great!

So excited to take a look at this and maybe attempt a remix

Thanks

Cool

Definitely enlightened - thanks Mr. Gray!

is there an alternative to valhalla roo reverb? want to explore ableton internal reverbs before making a purchase with valhalla. thanks

Hey @toango

Though Ableton Live stock reverb effect is a decent one, you won’t have the same control over early & late reflections as well as the stereo image that you could have with Valhalla Room. There is a lot of 3thrd party reverb plugins out there, with different design and features. An alternative to the Valhalla Room category could be the D16 Group Audio Software “Toraverb” or “Toraverb 2” plugin. Now don’t get fooled by the simple Gui design of the Valhalla plugins, the algorithms used by those are really powerful and they are high quality and respected reverb plugins. The company has also a fair pricing policy because each plugin has got a fix price of $50, which is seen as a lowered/discount pricing compare to some crazy price you will see on many other 3thrd party reverb plugins.

Great tutorial and nice track!!

Hi @toango, you seriously cannot go wrong with any of the Valhalla plugins. They are some of the best value reverbs out there. Room is good, but I’d also give Vintage Verb a demo. I have reverbs that cost a lot more and don’t sound as good. If you have Ableton Suite, I’d also recommend checking out the Max4Live convolution reverb device.

1 Like

just a little theory here for the theory heads:
in tutorial 6 he mentions the Fminor chord is compatible with the A minor scale because F is a relative key. F is in fact a relative key of A minor, it is the relative Lydian. there’s no relative minor to an already minor scale, only to other modes.
and in the F Lydian scale, where f is the tonic F is actually a major chord not a minor.

Heeeyyy, finna take his “secrets” with this.

Compelling melody and chord sequence, well arranged. On a theory note: the song is in A minor, of which the relative major is C (not F). The key of F has a B flat, which is never used in this song. As Julian notes, the sequence centers on the F chord, but because F is not the root, the melody never resolves. This gives the song an appropriate brooding, unsettled quality that works perfectly for the mood.

Which preset on the Giant are you using? My Giant sounds very different from yours. Thank you.

Thanx a lot for this Julian Gray! Very very good tutorial! Hope you will come back and do another one in the future

Love this! Hope Sonic Academy will hire Julian to make more tutorials.

Great tutorial this is the first one I have seen, just what I was hoping for when I signed up to help me progress in my new hobby

great tutorial, thanks Julian. learns a lot

Am I missing something? I can’t find the NCU_100_Gm_Guitar_Shot_11.wav file he uses anywhere in the project files, I can only find .wav files that are the processed result of the original .wav file (reverse guitar etc.)

Hi there @Anjunaholic42

Please keep in mind that it’s not granted that all original samples used in tutorials are included in the available resources for download, it can depend of copyright & license rights that tutors can’t share with others because of the EULA for those kind of samples that allow only one user to use them & don’t permit any kind of re-distribution.

After searching for it, in this case the sample you mentioned belongs to a Loopmasters Samples Pack which is matching those licensing limits, so it makes sense that the original file isn’t included.

The sample belongs to this pack Loopmasters Nu Cumbia

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thank you for the reply

1 Like