How To Make - Progressive Trance with Protoculture / 511

Hey @gofunk1 glad to hear it is sorted now!

Awesome stuff Nate! Quick tip: On your side chain ducking trigger channel, hold Option+Command while clicking on Solo. This will create a Solo Defeat and will basically never mute, allowing your trigger to play at all times :wink:

I checked out vids 5 and 6… what happens in between the two really is just a lot of dropping in samples. Can’t really explain more other than I find something in the track that needs work aka fx samples as in this case, I go find them and drop in ones I like. Really no real science to it, just importing sounds I kinda liked.

Thanks! Lol, you learn something new everyday :slight_smile: Great tip.

Right on. Thank you. I’m really going all out on this and have decided to just buy all the plugins needed to really create this from scratch (don’t tell my wife). Most of the presets, etc, I have been able to reverse engineer from the cubase file you provided, but for some reason I am having issues with only a couple things. I’d really appreciate if you could answer these (hopefully) few questions (I put the answers in an edit below):
The samples that you used in all the Phalanx samplers do not carry over-they just show “missing sample” in the cubase files. Could you please list those specific samples and ideally which sample libraries they come from? I bought the UD2 Progressive House pack, so I did find the samples that you have dropped that have UD2 at the beginning of the name.

I hope that I’m not being too much of a pain in the ass for you. I imagine you aren’t making a ton of money off this, so I really appreciate the time you are taking to answer these questions. I hope it helps to know that at least I (and I’m sure many others) are spending several hours each day working through this project, so I’m definitly not trying to have you spoon-feed me. :wink: . Cheers.

PS: I edited out my question about the “strings” track-just got to the part where you pulled up omnisphere…
PPS: ok-now that I have a better grasp of Phalanx…if you watch the video, you can see the name of the original sample on the top right of the vst window. That shows the name regardless of the preset name. So far, I have found one from UD1 Progressive, one from UD2 Progressive, and one from the Phalanx factory pack…Hopefully that will help someone else along the way.

Hey guys,

Im having a little trouble uploading my remix to the site. it taking a very long time to upload?

Cheers

James

Hi folks,
I have been auditioning Phalanx sampler for this tutorial. However with the new Cubase sampler track, I’m wondering whether it is worth the money. My demo is up tomorrow, and I’m considering just using the Sampler track. One of the big selling points if Phalanx is that it copies the sample directly in to the song project so you won’t lose your samples if you open the project years later. However, I just tested the Cubase sampler track as well (by dragging in a sample and then deleting the sample). It appears that the Cubase sampler does the same by copying the sample in to the pool. I’m personally not that impressed by Phalanx since you can’t time stretch or anything. Anyone care to chime in on whether they find Phalanx to be a “game changer” for them?

Hey @mbirame I think you will be fine with Cubase sample tracks - the only advantage I can see in getting Phalanx is the 3000 vengeance samples that come bundled with it, and perhaps some of the deeper functions like Anti-alias free sample mode etc etc , but that wouldn’t be enough to sway me !

did you get sorted?

make sure you convert it to mp3 first :slight_smile:

Hey Nate, thanks a lot for this series I’m really enjoying it. Props for being the only (as far as I know) one to make a tutorial on an actual released track. Others usually come up with some boring track that wouldn’t get signed to a label anyway. I have a question regarding mixdown. Why does the sub bass need to be EQed if it’s sidechained? When the kick is playing there’s no sub so they can’t clash.

Honestly, don’t bother with Phalanx… Cubase 9 renders it completely useless. The samples aren’t groundbreaking either. You’re better off grabbing one of their sample cd’s if you want those sounds or save your money for Avenger which is actually pretty mind blowing.

Sure, you’re making room with the side chain but they still need to exist together in the track and the sidechaining and release of the kick essentially work as a crossfade between the sub and kick sounds. They’re still competing for space in the mix… in some cases you might not need much eq, some cases you will, really depends on your sidechain settings and sounds you’re using.

Cheers, Nate. I’m getting close on this one. Been making my own track while also making this one using the same principles. I have to say I had no idea how much work goes into a Progressive track! FYI to others, this tune just went up on Beatport. Nate, I’m actually using it as one of the reference tracks for my tune in this tutorial. :smiley:

Hi guys,
I’m close to being done with my version of this project (in the final mix stages). I’m curious if any others have built their own version from scratch? In my case, I basically worked through the tutorial, but did my own melodies and a few other differences. Is there any place where we could post links to our mixes for peer review and feedback? (maybe even teacher feedback?)

any chance we can get the cubase skin preset?
It looks so awesome!

Its not really a preset or skin, just go to your appearance settings… I just changed all the default blue to a really dark grey. Also, I set up different colors for my VU meters… also done in the appearance settings tab.

Absolutely awesome series. This has really helped me put into perspective the idea of 3 dimensional mixing. Even though I’ve always known that reverb creates space this has really helped me pin point what should be sitting in the front and or further back.

Love the bass pattern on this track too. Really cool stuff. Thanks a lot Nate and thanks Sonic Academy!! :smiley:

Hi Nate,

Is there any chance you could let me know where to find the Acid Overflow Arp preset that you used in this tutorial please?

Thanks!

love your work Nate! But did I hear you say “time to get crack again”? Lol (in video 8).

Could anyone tell me?
I am not good at listening to English
Where can I get voice samples such as Plotoculture - Cygnus One used in video 10