How To Make - Psy Trance with Shadow Chronicles / 570

RE: Volcano… sure, its perfectly fine to replace Philta. Philta is just a little simpler to work for me, I think Simplon from Fabfilter is actually great for quick filtering jobs. The trancegate thing… yeah you can do it in Volcano although I find the envelopes a bit floppy for this. Something like VPS Trancegate, Gatekeeper or even Cubase’s MIDI Gate does a better job IMHO.

As for CLeansweep and philta… they sound different. Cleansweep is very much uncoloured in its standard configuration… it doesn’t make a huge difference at the end of the day though, I’m also just use to using philta so its the one I reach for most often.

Thanks again.

As for Trance Gate, I found SoundToys’ Tremolator and/or the KiloHearts’ Trance Gate a perfect replacement or even better.

There was something I liked about Philta when I demoed it, but I guess it was not the dongle. I will check out the two companies above. Kilohearts was a positive surprise in general.

That’s wild to see at 18:50 in Tutorial 4 how much click there is at the front of the bass sound. You can see it in the minichain. I have almost all the plugins except the Slate stuff, and I’m not getting that much click, so i guess it’s that distressor plug that’s really doing it. Interesting stuff!

@Protoculture

Great tutorial series as always, Nate! Quick question: your voice audio is crystal clear, and I can’t hear hardly any keyboard or mouse clicks. Would be really curious what microphone setup and recording process you’re using to help you achieve that. Thanks so much!

Good,handy infromation for the novice psy trance producer from the Good himself,thanks sonic and protoculture!

Nothing special… its a cardioid dynamic mic much like a sure SM58. I have a DSP processor on my sound card with comrpession and EQ running in realtime so its just processed before hitting the screen capture software.

Nice insight from a pro producer. Thanks!

Amazing course on Psytrance with fantastic transition techniques, stabs, etc.
My latest project All These Sounds (Clinton Peck) was done from learning this course. I am just a hobbyist, so it’s only on SounCloud and hearthis.at for now.

Nice track, @clintonpeck! Some lovely psychedelic sounds in there.
Looking forward to a great course here. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the compliment @chonky_pixel . I can thank Protoculture’s course for the outcome of that song. The course is in incredible depth and worth every penny.

There’s some excellent content here, but the course is difficult to follow. Perhaps with some planning ahead, it would be more accessible. No doubt about it though, the instructor is a talented producer.

Really loving this tutorial Nate, it would be great though to have a plugin list though before you start so you can keep the flow going. I found myself having to spend quite a bit of time scratching around for alternatives. I suppose this comment also applies to other tutorials also. That aside, loved it.

Thanks for your feedback @SonicD

Just for info, if you scroll down any course page while on the “Details” Tab, you will find a list of the software and plugins used for each course. :wink:

School boy error… thanks & appologies for being dense ;O)

1 Like

thank you it would be nice if you can give a link to all plugins that you using on this course

nvm i just see the software… my mistake thank you very much!

1 Like

Yes, if you scroll down on each tutorial page, there’s a list of software used for the course :wink:

Hey! Guess I’m late to the party but great course. Fun to see Omni used for a psy bass. I see the wave shaper is enabled in Omni… what’s it doing?

It’s bringing more harmonics to the waveform I believe.

" Omnisphere’s Waveshaper takes the Oscillator’s waveform and passes it through mathematically generated curves that add various types of distortion, changing the waveform’s harmonic content. "

Thanks for getting back. Would be interesting to hear / see what the settings are. The waveshaper / saturation part can make quite a big difference…