How To Make - Slap House with Haterade / 1391

Slap House with Haterade

View Course

This week we welcome back Noah Lloyd aka Haterade for a new ‘How to Make’ course where he creates an awesome Slap House from scratch in Ableton.

This is a super accessible course for all abilities with a simple but effective chord progression that’s the foundation of the entire track that we build from.

Noah works chronologically through the track, starting with the chilled intro before adding risers, fills and drum rolls to build up to the slamming drop section. After arranging out, we use the Sonic Academy vocal pack to create our own song before mixing and carrying out a basic master so it can be played out.

This is a quick and straightforward track but a course that’s packed full of tips, tricks and synth sound design to help raise your skills!

Go check it out!

Uau! Great sound and groove!

Just a quick question, are there plugins that can replace the paid ones used in the tutorial for example ANA 2 and many of the others you shown in the introduction video? I have serum and synthmaster, and ozone 9 elements but that’s about all

What’s that !?! You don’t have ANA 2 yet !?? ! … :sweat_smile: Lol ( just kidding here… )

Yes, of course, if you have other synths and know how to program them, you’ll be able to create similar sounds with your own instruments plugins and the same goes for effects plugins. Watch the course, learn about the techniques and tools used and adapt them using your own tools. It’s a bit more difficult than just replicating and copying settings in the same soft-synth or effect plugins but it’s also a very efficient way to learn.

This applies for all courses IMO, even those that are not done in the same DAW as yours, watch the course once, get around with the “what, why and how” shown by the tutor and once you’ve got a clear picture then try to recreate something similar with your own tools.

In the end of the day, the easiest way is not always the best approach, it takes more time and effort to adapt with your own tools, but it’s also rewarding in the end.

Hope this piece of advice helps :wink:

Cheers !

1 Like

Yes! Commenting on previous comments–I don’t have a lot of the plugins either. Some of those are expensive, however, at least we get to see them in action and there’s always Black Friday 2022.

1 Like

Great tutorial. I learned a lot and I’ve been using Ableton for a while. I didn’t have most of the plugins he used but I was able to improvise using my own collection of VSTs and samples. Song came out great! Thanks again!

1 Like

Great course, learnt a lot - Noah’s workflow is really good

That was fun! I was surprised how much I learned–even stuff in the future when talking about plugins I don’t currently have. If you are new to all this don’t freak out when something goes over your head because you will grasp it down the road and remember not understanding it. Not getting it is part of the learning process. There was a bunch of stuff here that I don’t get and I know it’s important. However, just knowing what I want to uncover down the road is getting me halfway there. So pick up what you can because it all adds up. Okay! Let’s do another! Thanks, Noah! You are a genius.

1 Like

Really loved this tutorial and learned a lot! One question though, I was always taught that I should pan all my instruments to make more room. I’ve noticed a lot of producers keeping everything right in the middle. What is your take on this?

Why does he use multiband on the vocal? Couldn’t he get the same effect using a dynamic EQ with three nodes? Or a similar effect with just a normal EQ?

Only the tutor would be able to tell exactly why they decided to use this tool over another on the vocals, but I would answer “why not ?” or “simply because” to be honest :slight_smile:

There’s many different ways to achieve more or less the same results when manipulating audio.
Plug-ins ( and also hardware units in a studio ) are just “Tools”, one may prefer to use 1 tool because of a faster or more convenient workflow, or simply because they find it to sound better or just because they know it works for what they try to achieve.

There’s only 1 rule to keep in mind IMHO : " If it sounds good, then it sounds good ! " :sunglasses:

So try out, experiment, compare and work with what’s available to you in your arsenal. That will probably evolve in time as well : you may have your favorite technique and plug-in to do something specific today, but it might be completely different in a few month or few years, but just think about how it sounds in the end and maybe also consider the workflow involved ( if you work as a professional under a time line, you’d like to get fast results ) but that’s a secondary concern.

This course was amazing. Learned a ton of new techniques. Thank you Haterade and Sonic Academy

1 Like

superbbb

Course was fantastic!!