How To Make - Synthwave with The Midnight / 547

Amazing! , thank you!

1 Like

Nice one!

Has anyone recreated any of the synths in ANA 2?

Man, The Midnight never ceases to blow me away. Tim is such a great teacher!

I hope I am able to take away skills to be a better producer from this course.

Am I supposed to already own or buy these 35 plug-ins to complete this tutorial? For starters, Logic can’t even open the SC-40 TOMS.EXS file… The project is almost completely quiet save for a flat kick and vocals.

My only feedback is that it would be nice to know that I needed 30+ new
plugins (which are not included) to be able to follow the tutorial.

@Xaetic

If you scroll down on the course a page it shows you all the plugins used in each course.

While we try to encourage the tutors to use as much of the DAW stock plugins as possible we also want them to show us their process in creating the released version of the track.

All our beginner courses use stock plugins

Cool

There’s some really good info in this course, but at the same time the guy leaves out SO many details that would have been helpful to know. And some of the things he does is a bit outdated at this point. Either way, still worth watching.

Love the lesson. Wish he had spent more time on the guitar part. I love the sound. Having zero luck recreating it.

More synthwave tutorials like this, please. The synth guitar is among the best I’ve heard. As a guitarist, I appreciate the attention to detail. It’s like Frank Gambale played the track. They have great saxophone on their album. But that has to be a real player. Or does it?

Thanks Tim! super helpful tutorials. its very surgical

I read some of the comments. and to anyone wanting a dreamy synth sound… you don’t want to take his sample and use it.i know you want to be a carbon copy off the midnight but no one else does. This gives insight as to what to look for or maybe some ideas of how to get the best of your current sounds. use whatever plugins you have. use stock ones and you will get very similar effects. if you can afford glossy expensive plugins go for it but in the end it won’t matter its subtle anyways… the amount his mix will sound better than yours is buy a ball hair. To get a dreamy synth use a JUNO BRASS layered with a string or pad sound sound make the attack on the brass decently quick and pad or strings at half so you hear the brass initially and not the attack of strings … bring up the decay and go half on sustain and then go half to full on release for both… sounds dreamy to me

1 Like

I’m making my way through this really cool, and very special tutorial. I wanted to provide a more in depth commentary after I finish the whole thing, BUT I was curious if Tim ever provided his actual presets for all the devices he was calling out in the videos? For example, I totally tried recreating his Echoboy “reverb” and massively failed. lol… It would have been awesome if as part of the resources, his actual presets for all the devices he was using (synths and effects) were provided to us. I know I’m late to the party, but just wanted to see if that was possibly provided and I missed the link. Thank you.

No worries with this, that’s part of the learning process TBH :sunglasses:
The goal is not to get the exact same sounding result but more about learning about the techniques used to get there.

There’s a Project File available in the tutorial resources ( but it requires to use the same DAW as the tutor ).
Also, like it’s been mentioned in previous posts through this topic, not all presets are included, but again copying presets isn’t always the best approach IMHO, getting a chance to see how a sound was created and trying to replicate something similar with your own plugins is much more effective ( even though it requires more time & efforts ).

Finally got through this tutorial. Overall, pretty interesting and informative. I was taking notes and documenting the bits that were interesting to me, but generally, I consider this tutorial chock full of strategies, and not particularly a A-Z hey, let’s make a synthwave track kinda video. Of course, this wasn’t without its idiosyncrasies. The way he would “automatically” EQ and the one that stood out for me was opening a 1176, not even checking the compression and just moving the output!. haha. Nice one. I think everyone else in the comments possibly have already called out the other “shortcomings” of this tutorial. The mystery of the Keys Buss remains unsolved however… :wink:

Thank you!

He chews on his ums and I hate that he calls mid range mid tone but man I love their music!

pressing copy all the tiiiimmeeee

I was looking forward to getting to drum buss!