How To Make - Synthwave with The Midnight / 547

For you guys that have been trying to workout how to get the “Dreamy Synth” sound into your DAW of choice: in the Resources .zip file (up top under Course Resources) there’s a demo version of the NI KONTAKT instrument AND a folder containing the .wav sample files for the instrument (cuz KONTAKT is basically a sample playback device at its core). Grab those samples, map 'em across the keyboard on your software or hardware sampler (I’m a Reason guy so that’s NN-XT for me), increase the the decay and release on your AMP envelope, and you’ve basically got the Dreamy Synth. The KONTAKT instrument also does some subtle modulation of a lowpass filter envelope with each key press, you could certainly do the same for extra credit! :slight_smile: Tip: The A samples are named an octave too low, so A1 is actually A2, A2 is A3, etc. So for the first octave, your map’s gonna be:
C1.wav
D#1.wav
F#1.wav
A1.wav
Rinse/repeat

1 Like

@mikedailor

Great tip, thanks again for your contribution :slight_smile:

If you’re following along with Spire: the preset for the Bell synth is sws_keys_kingdomh from Sample Magic’s “Sm101 Synthwave Sounds” sample pack. Bass Part 2 is sws_bass_last from that same pack. https://www.samplemagic.com/details/430/synthwave-sounds

1 Like

To all the moaners… if you put the same energy into making music as you do complaining it might help you more.

Don’t you get it? The fact Tim can’t remember where he found the preset IS the lesson.

There is no exact formula for making great art. The creative process involves experimentation, luck, and the stars aligning at just the right moment. A pinch of this, a dash of that… until it starts to sound awesome… Tim can’t teach you that magic because he doesn’t even know where it came from him himself.

He played those notes because of a lifetime’s experience if listening to and absorbing music. And then letting it flow back out through him. The melodies arise from the sub conscious. And if it’s not in your subconscious then you’re not going to get it from a tutorial. You get it from hours and hours of listening to music and from hours and hours trying to create music.

It may not the the greatest audio engineering course but as a look behind the scenes at how The Comeback Kid was created it’s awesome. Thanks Tim and Sonic Academy :slight_smile:

1 Like

@acprojects

Wise words about the creative process & all it’s magic :wink: :thumbsup:

thank you for the tips,

very interesting to see a project made by a pro !

I can not ignore the tutor hitting the “copy” button after almost every move. It is just muscle memory from times when it was necessary in any way? It never results in any pasting whatsoever?

But that “copy” button thing did not take me away from watching a pro making a great track. But it kind of went on like talking with somebody really interesting, and he or she is constantly touching his nose after every sentence… :smiley:

Love your stuff & the Midnights Music!!! Thanks for the videos. looking forward to seeing more stuff from the midnight… maybe “Lost Boy” is next??

This was a really great course. I enjoyed seeing the track put together.

Very useful tutorial, I have learned a lot.

I’ve been looking all over for how to get the 80s sound. LOVE THIS!

I’m still thankful for this. Almost no bullshit, wait, no bullshit! Thanks The Midnight!

Awesome Tutorial!

Didn’t know this existed until finding it on YouTube! Can’t wait to dive in to this tutorial!

1 Like

Does anyone know where to buy the Dreamy Synth Kontakt instrument?

Hey there @sevenview

The Dreamy synth KONTAKT instrument.nki instrument + samples is available as part of the tutorial’s resources download.

Download the Resources file ( HTM_Synthwave_The_Midnight_Resources.zip ) , extract the archive and in the main resulting folder you’ll find an Instruments sub-folder with the NKI patch + samples.

This is an unbelievable tutorial. The way he explains his effects chains is simplistic but incredibly informative, some of the best content on sonic academy for sure.

1 Like

Love this!! The MidNight!! Hell f*cking yeah!!

Couldn’t be happier for this tutorial!!