How To Make - Synthwave with Timecop 1983 / 221

Good video but its a shame that the arrange window in this old version of fruity loops actually hides a great deal of information. Watching the track play and watching it scroll there isn’t much too see and what you do see doesn’t seem to reflect what you hear. I found the arranging and building parts of this track really hard to follow which is a shame as its actually pretty simple. it would have been nice to watch this play in any other DAW but this old version of fruity loops.
This is the best kind of synthwave. The vocal pop stuff is awful. More of this please.

This was great. As a long time Fruity Loops user, this gave me a lot of insight as to the simple touches that create the ambiance I’m looking for as a synthwave producer. You’ll be hearing from me, I promise that!

Great and clear!

a no-frills and straight to the point course, just great sound choices and ideas. His music sounds BIG, loved it

hi all!! real good course! i’ve read al lot of comments and i can see your side… but over all i think is a good course… good sound design!
I’ll ask only a thing: some one can explain the chord progression and key of the track?

Hey there @Stain

According to Beatport the track is in the key of Gbmin. As for the chords progression, he’s rather using single notes based bass line, synth arp & lead following the key of the song than complex chords IMO.

This is an excellent course. To be clear, it is not a “how to use FL” course (I use ableton personally) or a “how to design sounds with X synth” course, it is a “how to synthwave” course and it is great at that.

I loved how the instructor introduced different sections of the arrangement throughout the course. I lot of times you get 10 videos working on the same two bar loop and then 1-2 videos on arrangement. This was much better.

I have seen some complaints in the comments about the use of so many synth plugins. And yeah there are a lot. But a big part of synthwave is its use of some iconic old synth sounds and often times that means plugins. I will say that the only one used in this course I really think is essential is the Korg Polysyx (that bass patch is synthwave). The others can be replaced with cheaper/free alternatives.

1 Like

Fantastic video, also thank you for adding the presets, This has saved me a let of hassle trying to replicating the sounds in the vst’s regards Teeboy :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

Great Tutorial, loved it.

1 Like

Great tutorial. The song created shows some of the structures/patterns used in synthwave. it was a pleasant lesson

I am using a demo version of Lush101, and I can’t figure out how to load the “Main Arp - Lush 101.SHPRST” preset into Lush101 to replicate the Brash preset he uses. In Lush101, if I click on Load preset in Settings, it only allows .fxb or .fxp files. Is this a limitation of the demo version, or am I missing something? Thanks!

Hi there @scarridale

I’m not sure about the limitation of the demo, but here’s what you should try to install the Main Arp - Lush101.shprst preset in D16-Lush 101.

1- Launch an instance of Lush 101 and Open the Presets Browser from the GUI.
2- Click on an empty space on the 1st left folder location and hit the New Folder icon to create a new folder.
3- Do the same in the second location to create a sub-folder.
4- Double Click on each folder and rename them as you want.

5- Close the Presets Browser and click on the OPTIONS button top left.
6- Select the Presets Tab to reveal the Presets installation path.
7- Close Lush 101 and remove this instance from your DAW.
8- Browse to your Presets path on your computer and manually copy Main Arp - Lush101.shprst into the new folder/sub-folder ( i.e : here I created a User Preset folder and a Arp Sub-folder where I copied the preset file ).
9- Launch a new instance of Lush 101, click on Options, presets and hit the Update Presets button.

If you still don’t see the new preset, delete this instance of Lush 101 and launch a new one, you should be done.

Hope this helps :wink:

Cheers !

Great tutorial. The song not too complicated for begineers and theres tons of explanations on details

What a fantastic course! I found Timecop’s workflow to be very clean and simple, and nothing I’ve ever tried before, but I will certainly put it to use in the future!

1 Like

Synthwave… nice.

Really informative. As an Ableton and ProTools user, I saw some great features of FL Studio that really expedited the completion of this track. Hmm…

Was a long time that I wanted to see the tutorial from this legend. Started on synthwave because of him, before I was Slap House producer. Timecop is a big inspiration in these times of fake and plastic music. Made my track for the remix contest this month. A simple tribute to to him.

1 Like

Legit synthwave. Thank you!

Thank you for this tutorial. Super helpful and easy to follow, even though I was working in a different DAW.

1 Like

Super helpful, thank you!!

1 Like