How To Make - Tech House - Zip It with Vangelis Kostoxenakis / 586

Tech House - Zip It with Vangelis Kostoxenakis

View Course

Annie Mac favourite and house music virtuoso, Vangelis Kostoxenakis drops an amazing course on Sonic Academy this week building his track ‘Zip It’ from scratch.

Hailing from the southside of Athens, Greece VK is a machine when it comes to production. With an expansive career in the business, and has developed a deep musical background through various styles releasing unconventional but club friendly tracks on today’s top labels such as Kling Klong, Suara, Snatch!, Stereo Productions and Toolroom. He can also be found regularly sitting atop of the traxsource and Beatport charts.

In this How To Make Tech House - ‘Zip It’ we get an insanely intimate look into VK, his studio and production secrets. Building this chunky Tech House track from the ground up using both software and hardware to create his unique sound.

From the initial creation of the kick to adding percussive elements and designed synth fills, through to arranging, automating, and edits, finishing with mastering the track, this course has it all, and we get to watch as VK has tons fun letting his imagination and creative urges loose in the studio!

As owner of record label Talk of the Town Vangelis has included the stems and resources of this track for you guys to work your magic and submit your own remix of this monster track!
If yours is chosen you could be in with the chance of getting a release on VK’s label and turn heads the same way VK’s been doing for years! An opportunity not to be missed and exclusive here at Sonic Academy.

We know you guys can smash it, and ourselves and Vangelis are super excited to check out your remixes so it’s over to you to bag yourself a release and some wicked prizes.

Just click the ‘Enter Remix Comp’ button above to find out more! This competition is open to all Sonic Academy registered users.

Contest ends - 11 May 2018 07:00:00 UTC

Realy nice thank you !

Lovely to watch your, almost all analog studio!
THAT is my way since last summer.

But yes, I have both ANA´s and KIck 2 :slight_smile:

Thank you1

1 Like

@vangeliskostoxenakis Very enjoyable course to follow & thank you for sharing your own approach to build a track from scratch & your workflow. You are clearly demonstrating that being organized & methodical using a workflow that suits you is definitely not restrictive for creativity & quite efficient to bring more consistency to the track. Appreciated your words about keeping making music for fun & not getting frustrated by the end of the day. Thanks :slight_smile:

You summarized the course in 3 lines. That’s exactly it

1 Like

@vangeliskostoxenakis cool tutorial mate!
but how about sidechain? Don’t need it on the bass? Or do you have the bass an octave above the kick?

I rarely sidechain. I do it only if kick and bass are in phase or fall in the same fundamental frequency if u get what I mean. I prefer to eq and compress a bit more the bass, tighten it up if it’s too low endy.

Oh yes. Another great course. Will definitely be entering the remix competition. Think I might get my 8 year old son to recreate the vocal. The embedded video of Vangelis in the studio was really cool. You can really see how much fun he’s having. Really wish I had the funds and space for that Moog. What a synth!

1 Like

unique kick design!

1 Like

nice course

1 Like

Hey @stuartcove, looking forward to hear your remix then ! :wink:

great course !!!

“Zip it” TOTT EP Preview available from Vangelis Kostoxenakis on SoundCloud, check it out ! Nice cluby sound there !!
https://soundcloud.com/vangeliskostoxenakis/sets/zip-it-ep-talk-of-the-town

This bass is a floorfiller what a killer sound

1 Like

Great video and at a great pace where things can be picked up. Thank you

how long does it usually take for you guys to decide the winner please? Rob

We will be announcing Monday or Tuesday of next week! Good luck everyone!

Drum Roll Please…

Well done to our winners

1st @DMA - 1 Day Remix
2nd @cwoodon Soul Slappa Remix
3rd @Wuak - Who Understands And Knows Remix

Well done to everyone that entered, some amazing and creative remixes in there!!

Chris

1 Like

Awesome tutorial!

:+1::+1::+1: