How To Make - Techno 2019 with Harvey McKay / 668

Thanks, loved to watch it.

Great tutorial, I learned a lot, many thanks good sir :smiley:

nice

great

more tutorials like this! Really good tutor and explanations!

it’s okay but it’s not long enough. I don’t really know who it is aimed at either. There are not a great deal of explanations in the course but there are some excellent tips. Some of the longer sections have hardly any talking in them. So you probably need to know sound design already and you probably need to know some music theory on playing the main melodies and riffs. There are parts like that which just happen without much explanation.

The instructor is great and there are excellent tips in there but maybe he has been set back by the videos being so short. I liked the course but I feel that it should have been 2hrs 30 mins or it should have been half the price.

From the parts that I learnt something from, it could have been a shrunk into a 10 minute tips video. I guess the theme here is there are courses out there by top producers like this that are about the same price and range from 2hrs 30 mins to over 6 hours. This one doesn’t give value for money. But if value for money is not an issue for you and you already know how to make a techno tune then jump in and get those tips!! The more information you can get the better.

Having said all that the guy makes some super cool tunes so I really hope he does another longer more in depth course.

1 Like

Yeh, sort of agree with Richard below. I mean dont get me wrong, I’m a huge, huge fan of Harvey and when I saw this pop up I couldnt wait to check it out but I wish it was abit longer and had abit more discussion around different ways to do things, for example different ways he comes up with basslines (unless of course thats how he mainly does it!) and how he creates those amazing drum grooves he’s known for.
Saying all that, I loved his keep it simple way of working and after watching it I banged out a track in a couple of hours. It’s obviously nothing of the quality of Harveys track as sample selection is key I think but watching him work quickly made me stop faffing!
I would say if you’re a techno fan and like Harveys music you should give this a watch. If you’re mid-level to experienced producer you probably won’t learn a great deal with this but its worth a watch anyway. I really hope you plan on doing more videos with Harvey, he’s a quality producer. Cheers

1 Like

@rthrale & @Elixir861

Thanks for this constructive feedback guys, it’s those kind of comments that helps S.A & the tutors to level up the content and that’s the reason for the forums to be, so very cool to see people getting involved :wink:

Cheers !

No worries :slight_smile: I’ve watched it about 5 times now so thats a good sign :smiley:

1 Like

Harvey is a beast!! Love the simple but yet effective mindset! Great Tips, huge sound!

Very dope tutorial !

helpful…:slight_smile:

Ive always tried a layered kick but this has helped me understand how the two can work in unison, this has been great help Harvey, cheers mate!

Amazing Tutorial. Thanks for leaking your Info Harvey!!!hahaha Wocked work flow bro

I’m not a pro but shouldn’t kick be in the same note as the subkick that is confusing a bit

@leemonaid It’s really a matter of preference IMO. Some producers like to tune all their Kicks & Drums but many ones don’t bother too much with it and just do it by ear, judging if it works in the mix.

You might gain some more tonal balance by tuning your drums but it can also give you problems if everything is tuned as those elements will fight for room in the same frequency range, leading to mixing issues. Doing it by ear avoids this and can also bring contrast & help to widen your mix.

Great Tutorial, very easy to understand.

I am going for it.

Just recently getting back in to Techno and this course has defiantly help me in a big way thanks for sharing your skills Mckay

Let’s try this!!!