How To Make - Uplifting Trance 2019 with James Dymond / 804

@Kerris Which plugins do you not have? Maybe I can suggest cheaper or possibly free alternatives?

True, these plugins can be very expensive. However, I bought the majority of them on discount. Sign up to the Waves & Plugin Alliance newletters and they will let you know when they are discounted. They are expensive for a reason, but totally worth the investment I have found over the years!

Let me know which plugins you

Hi James. Thanks for getting back to me. I subscribe to Slate Digital so have all their plugins and the FL Studio Producer ones. Is there a Slate Digital alternative to the Maag eq4? I was thinking of the Slate Digital Eiosis Air EQ.

Many Thanks

Kev

@Kerris I don’t have the full Slate Digital collection so I’m not sure about the Digital Elosis Air EQ.

But I’ve used the SD “Revival” plugin and it has a really nice top end boost (the “Shimmer” toggle at the top).

The Maag EQ is particularly special with it’s Air Band EQ shelf, which is why it works so well.

@Kerris

Eiosis Air EQ is a great one & you can do similar things as the Maag EQ 4 but with more tweaks & settings, the joy of the Maag EQ is the predefined frequencies which makes it easy to dial in & get instant results. Alternatively & surprisingly there’s a free plugin that emulates the Maag EQ an that have similar freq. & band choices. Just check it out, really incredible for a free plugin, it’s called Luftikus ( Click on the name for Link ). You can check this comparison video between the 2 as well 🎚 Luftikus vs Maag EQ4 Plugin Emulations - YouTube

Hi great tutorial. Im wondering why am i clipping on the master channel given that none of the busses or the faders are over -11.

@X91

First thing to keep in mind is that each individual tracks & busses outputs are summed to the master, so overall level just increase when you’re adding tracks to the Mix, therefore it might just be that setting those faders at -11 is still too hot, give it a try at -14.

Another reason could be processing on your Master like Compressor or Limiter or even on individual tracks if you have some instruments or audio files creating short momentary peaks. That could be either right at the source ( i.e soft-synth output level ) or post effects ( after compression…etc ).

Great stuff James, really helped me simplify my tracks where I was definitely guilty of over-producing and the results are so much better, especially in terms of clarity. Many thanks!

Re FL Studio being a top DAW, i stand corrected. Would still love to know how James made the mid bass sounds though :stuck_out_tongue:

Great stuff James. Loving the simplicity of some of this :slight_smile:

fantastic course

Excellent course, James!

So amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to share your process and break this down thoroughly. Priceless information.

Very cool course, I on lesson with percussion understood that this the most the best option write music, sounds already on level-6 dB, before I could not achieve transparency and volume in his mix, thank you huge for done work

Quite a good course, thanks!

Nice, a really great teaching style

Hi James,

perhaps this helps you a bit to get best friends with Fruity Delay 3:

If you use the pan knob on Delay2 for making the sound wider in PingPong mode, you should really do the same in Delay3…
It´s a bit of nonsense to swap between the Stereo and PingPong mode on Delay3 in your mid bass tutorial with having the Pan centered and wondering why the sound doesn´t get any wider…

This is hands down for me the best tutorial I’ve done. It’s so structured and thorough. I have learnt more from this course in a few hours than I have in months with other courses, which seem to get you to a certain point, and then your lost trying to figure out what is the next step you should take. I’m not even using the same DAW but the process was explained so well that I found it effortless to translate into my workflow.

Thanks so much for this!

1 Like

This is the best Uplifting Trance tutorial on Sonic Academy to date. The most useful information shown was the techniques involving the buses and automation. This course is a must have for beginners and a great place to pick up useful tips for intermediate to advanced producers looking to achieve a better sounding mix.

1 Like

Thanks again James, returning from your last ULT course and you have certainly refined your workflow yet only increasing your production quality!

Also, does anyone have the Synth Presets for this session? I dont have FL Studio to open the session. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi there @ShannonKick

Which Synth Preset are you referring to Please ? Thre’s Leads, Plucks, Pads & different soft-synths like Sylenth or ANA 2 used in this course, so it’s hard to guess which preset you’re looking for.

Next to this, my advice would be to download & install FL Studio Trial, while the limitation is not being able to re-open “saved” Projects, you can open other’s Projects, was actually able to open this session with a trial version of FL.