How To Make - Weekend with WNTER / 657

Weekend with WNTER

View Course

This week we welcome back downtempo and ambient multi-instrumentalist, Thomas Cochran aka WNTER , for an all-new course in Ableton 10 on how to make his track Weekend.

In this three hour course, we learn how to build this ethereal yet powerful and epic track from scratch.

Starting with the analog lead chords with it’s flowing arpeggio and automated sidechain using Ableton’s utility plugin, we move on to building the sub and kick before layering further melodic textures using WNTER’s signature time-stretching and resampling techniques.

Just by using a handful of simple samples, we create epic pad and string sections drenched in reverb and finish off with arranging all the elements we’ve created before mixing down the song and carrying out a basic master so it’s ready to be released.

The end result is a powerful soundscape built using clever techniques that can be used in any genre to get that epic sound.

Go check it out!

Is there actually a MIDI file for the bells in here? I have not been able to find it! Great tutorial so far.

Hi @Shahn

Yes, the Midi files for the Bells are in the Ableton Live Project archive available in the download resources, you need Live as a Daw in order to open the .als project file.

If you’re using a different DAW than Live, please let me know and I will save the midi files & PM them to you since you’re a subscriber having access to the tutorial resources.

Relevant keyboard shortcuts:

Cmd+D (mac) will duplicate (copy+paste+add sequentially) anything highlighted, in the piano roll, on arrangement view, or automation.

Shift+up (or down) will cause all selected notes to go up or down by exactly an octave (in the piano roll).

Loved this course. Not my usual style of music to make but have learned some great little shortcuts in Ableton, and some technical knowledge that i can take forward into my own tracks.
A sound i have been looking to replicate for a long time is covered in the distorted bass tutorial with the automating of the range oscillator. Simple trick but great result.

Thanks WNTER and Sonic Academy for a great tutorial

1 Like

loves this course!
I look forward to his next tutorials.