How To Use - Ableton Live Probability Pack with Bluffmunkey / 667

Ableton Live Probability Pack with Bluffmunkey

View Course

Bluffmunkey’s back this week and this time he’s checking out Ableton Live 10’s Probability Pack which is free to download if you have Ableton Live 10 Suite.

These five creative sequencer plugins allow you to add controlled randomisation to your composition and performance process. Each sequencer has a unique way of adding subtle or extreme randomisation to patterns with unpredictable outcomes. Perfect for generating new ideas, creating variations of existing patterns, or setting up unpredictable, ever-evolving musical or rhythmic textures.

Designed for hands-on use with a controller (although hardware is not necessary to use them), Bluffmunkey takes a detailed look at how each of the plugins operates before using them in a real-world example.

If you own Ableton Live 10 Suite downloading this pack is a no-brainer, just be prepared to lose a few hours seeing what sort of chaos these plugins can generate!

Grab the pack here -:
Click Here

“im just going to stay on minor, because im miserable” LOLOL

Dr Chaos is the BEST

hello thank you for this great tutorial. i struggled to get your great tip at 6.35 on how to record the midi. I’m using ableton 10 suite. I made a video to detail my issue here: - YouTube. sorry the audio didn’t record but you will be able to see that i followed your steps and was not able to succeed in recording the midi notes.

i was referring to the tutorial 2 - dr chaos video

Hi there @mantravine

Just took a look to your video showing your issue, to be able to record incoming Midi from another instrument onto a new Midi or Audio track in Live, you first need to select your input channel like you did, in this case choose your track with “Serum” ( 1 ) , then make sure to set the monitoring to “IN”( 2 ).

If you already have existing Midi events or midi clips on the source track ( here Serum track ) you just need to arm the destination track for record, if you want to record the Midi as you play via a keyboard/controller, just arm both track for record and be sure to select the source ( serum ) track to be the active one ( 3 ).

Whether you’re recording the Midi Out to a new Midi or a a new Audio track, the principle is the same.

Only for certain Midi instruments or arpeggio or sequencer generators like X-fer Cthulhu or Audiomodern Riffer (i.e) you will need to replace the default “Post Fx” setting by the track containing the source instrument again, but to record Midi out from Serum, just follow the simple first I/O routing.

Check the forums in order to visualize the screen shot giving you a example.

Hope that helps, cheers !

This reply helped me. Thank you very much for such a quick reply. Massively impressed.

1 Like

Hi Tekalight, I’m experiencing some inconsistencies in this recording process that you had suggested a fix for. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I made a video to show you a time where it doesn’t. Please let me know if you have any idea how I can fix this - - YouTube

Hi there @mantravine

Sorry for the delayed reply this time :wink:

OK, so from what I’ve seen on your video, you’re not able to record Midi out from your “AC” channel because you inserted an instance of “DS-Tantra” on this channel.

The “Ds-Tantra” Effect plugins is processing Audio only and as far as I know doesn’t send any Midi Out.

Inside Live, the workflow is working from Left to Right, so what’s happening is that the Max4Live device “Step Divider” is sending Midi to your Tension Instrument “Cat Gut Bass” which is converting this Midi signal to Audio and the “DS-Tantra” plugin is modifying this incoming Audio signal into a new altered/processed Audio signal.

Therefore you will be able to record the Audio coming out from “DS-Tantra” on a new Audio channel but never on a new Midi track.

Mate your such a rockstar on this knowledge department eh. i deleted tantra and it recorded the midi notes straight away. Thank you so much.

When recording midi notes, is there any possibility to record the swing function from rhythmic probability (turning up the swing knob on a pattern)? I tried recording notes with swing but it just comes out straight and when i use the swing function on my push 2 it is not able to replicate the same swing.

is this a vst?

Hi there @Meet_Shah

Not really VST, it’s a suite of Live’s Devices by a 3rd party company “Sonic Faction”, if you own Ableton Live 10 Suite, it’s included with it, just have to download it from the “Packs” tab under the “Places” area directly from Live 10.

More info here Probability Pack | Ableton

Struggled in the beginning because there was no instruction on how to get started for beginners. Like create midi track and add an instrument. Was really confused until I searched on YouTube for the direction I needed.

Have you checked the Ableton Live beginner’s series ?

Ableton Live 11 Beginner Level 1

Ableton Live 11 Beginner Level 2

You will also find similar courses for prior versions of Live if you’re not using Live 11 from the All Courses page, you can use filters and keywords ( using the magnifier icon top right ) to refine your search.

Yes, I’ve used Ableton off and on quite a bit and gone through many tutorials. So I’m not a total beginner. But I don’t think I have the Ableton mindset yet (I’m a Logic user) - lol! It would be nice if the obvious when getting started with a new thing. Thanks so much for your response!

1 Like

It took me quite some time as well as a previous Protools and Logic user, each attempt to use and learn more about Ableton Live on my own was a failure to be honest : I gave up each time :confused:

Could not grasp and understand the interface workflow at first. Following that kind of tutorials and then others showing how to make full tracks was really helpful, but yes, it took me some time and the switch wasn’t easy.

The funny thing is that Live is now my go to DAW and the one I find more easy and faster to work with :smile:

Oh good! In the past, I would give up on Live and go back to Logic. But I’m so intrigued by some of these packs that I must plow through until I get it - lol! Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 Like