Follow up - ANA 2 + Bitwig + Windows 10 issues

Any progress with this issue. Definitely keeps me from wanting to browse the presets of Ana, as they are often messed up.

Hi there Rob,

From what I know there’s an upcoming new release that’s still in progress and testing, no time frame yet as for when it will be available.

Ok good to know, but do you know if they have actually reproduced this issue? Seems like it’s definitely happening to lots of people. Phil asked me to follow up with him to demonstrate on the KVR forum but he never received my PM. But as long as they have reproduced it then no need. Just want to confirm.

@robj

Yes, I was able to reproduce the issue with ANA 2 VST 3 v2.0.98 for the presets being mangled when browsing/switching through them.

This is specific to ANA 2 VST 3 / Windows / Bitwig Studio ( initialy tested in 3.11 but I have upgraded to 4.01 since and had the same issue ).

However I was not able to replicate issue with using mouse scrolling an also keys hanging/stuck on the virtual keyboard as reported in the 1st post by @Darcey

Ok great that you reproduced the messed up presets issue. I haven’t encountered the other ones either.

Scrolling issue - Added some tool I found to display mouse activity and key presses to on screen visuals (bottom left of video)…

VST3 and VST2 tested after a re-install.

This happened on bitwig 3.?.? (cant remember which version I was on) and same on 4.0.1

RE: VST 3 Sounds
Not usable, have to use VST2 x64

RE: Visual Keyboard - Keys getting stuck down
This is hard to catch as it only happens after you play around for a while.

Hope this helps.

D

1 Like

Thanks for the update and the video : :thumbsup:

OK, we’ll look into this again as well, but yep, it’s not obvious to catch those ones :wink:

RE: Scroll issue - FLStudio Producer Edition v20.8.3 [build 2304] x64

Ana 2 x64
No scroll issues

1 Like

Hi there @Darcey and @robj

Latest release v2.0.99 is now available for download : My Account / My Downloads / Plugins

• This version brings several fixes & improvements to ANA 2, recalling presets & settings when reopening projects, mouse scroll and other minor issues have been addressed, please let us know if you still have issues in those areas.

!! :disappointed_relieved:!! Unfortunately :

The main issue reported with the VST 3 that leads to ANA 2 mangling the presets and audio output is not resolved in this version. We’ve identified another problem that we suspect being an issue with Bitwig Studio and the way the DAW handles presets.

This has been reported to Bitwig and we’re waiting for their feedback and input on this one.

As a result, It is NOT recommended to INSTALL the VST3 plugin version if you’re using Bitwig.

This can easily be turned off during installation ( choosing “Customise” ), but remember that you will need to remove any ANA 2 VST3 from a previous installation ), here’s the VST 3 location reminder for PC & Mac :

Mac : Your MAC HDD DRIVE/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3 remove ANA 2.vst3
PC : C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3 remove ANA2 x64.vst3

Also make sure to check the Readme file from the download archive for other fixes/improvements/new feature
( there’s a cool one with the ability to manually edit/enter values using Alt + Click ).

That’s unfortunate to hear that it’s not resolved but I do appreciate the follow up on the thread. I hope that once it’s worked out, it could be a relatively quick hotfix and not have to wait until a later release. Please continue to keep us posted on progress once you hear from Bitwig. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the update, but seems the scroll issue is still present in BitWig 4.x, it was all working great at first then after a few navigations and group/category selection and then preset selections, it’s back to it’s old sticking and starting functionality. The old trick of navigating out or over other areas of the vst doesn’t seem restore functionality as quickly anymore but if you wait or go to use the scroll bar it comes back to life. Is this functionality tied into mouse movement in some way? Maybe put the programming in a low polled event loop or in a loop but only to execute when certain flags and conditions are not met restoring functionality?

Maybe it’s a focus issue, maybe add a debug console which pops out to the right, or bottom to the vst so you can watch the scroll flags/variables and see when things are not what they seem.

Often when I’m programming something visual the standard debugger and the drill down and skip function & variable and function traverse features are not that useful so I often build a visual debug output where I can watch the flags & variables in real time.

Keep track on mouse over, what mouse is over, when wheel is used and focus, might show something.

I often find it’s always something small in the code that takes the longest of time to find and fix.

ADDITIONAL
I’ve noticed that if I don’t move the mouse after preset selection that’s when it most often stops the mouse wheel from working, if I keep moving the mouse after selection it comes back… Eventually…

RE: Virtual Keyboard keys getting stuck down
Also still there, but this time it actually happened pretty soon after starting ana2.

https://aftc.io/share/ana-2-key-stuck-down.png

1 Like

Additional - New Bug
I closed the song in Bitwig with Ana 2 visually open and it remained on screen. If I minimize bitwig it minimizes with it, so that’s working fine, but very odd that it remains open when the song is closed and there is no way to load any VSTs as there’s no song to work with. Event calls for closure not being executed? Accidentally left commented out for testing?

1 Like

RE: Studio One 5.x & FLStduio 20.x
No issues with scroll in FLStudio or Studio One. Did not try it out long enough to see if any of the keys on the Virtual Keyboard would get stuck down however, but that’s just cosmetic.

1 Like

Testing a new internal build here and confirming this one as well, only happens with the VST2, no issue with the VST3.

Tested with latest Bitwig Studio 4.0.6 on Windows 10 pro here: the VST2 GUI window won’t close automatically when closing the Bitwig project, you need to close the GUI window manually in order to be able to access Bitwig main menu and load a new project.

Yep, I’ve gone back to previous version as I spend most of my time in Bitwig and VST3 is not an option.

Looks like this is fixed with this new build :wink:

Still some testings to do, tho.

1 Like

Hi there @Darcey and @robj

ANA 2 beta v2.0.992b is now available from your accounts : My Account / My Downloads / Plugins

As usual… Let us know :thumbsup:

@Darcey One at a time please… We haven’t planned to implement agile development yet :smile: :joy: :joy:

…Just kidding… :sunglasses: :peace:

1 Like

Hi @Tekalight

Beta V2.0.992b Tested and the results are fresh in! :airplane_arriving: :sunglasses:

NOTE: I have typed comments in the video as I am testing for you…

. . . … . . . … . . . … . . .

VST 3

No sound corruption on preset change and selection anymore!
Meat is back on the menu bitwig boys! erm I mean VST3… :stuck_out_tongue:

- Mouse wheel scroll issues

A lot better, it’s no longer sticking after preset selection, however…

1. Still present in both VST2 & VST3, better than it was, not sure but I think VST3 seems to scroll a bit better.

2. Scroll of main presets panel works most of the time but there are scenarios where it doesn’t work at all, especially if you are at the bottom of the preset list and select something, you seem to loose the up scroll capability. I think this is an offset issue, to where the visual mouse pointer is and where Ana2 coordinates for the mouse location actually is.

3. NEW, not a bug but an effect which could point to why some scroll issues exist.

If you note in the video at certain positions of mouse pointer when scrolling through presets on both VST2 and VST3, the preset that I am not hoving over one of the stars on the preset below (could be 1st to last star) as if it thinks the mouse is hovering over that star (hover state offset, it thinks the mouse pointer is somewhere else, which could mean this is why it can’t scroll at the bottom, that offset thinks its outside of the window in the lower section and scroll is lost???)… Maybe when at bottom those coordinates exceed the window dimensions thus scroll is lost?

It’s off by ?? on x and ?? on the y axis in positive values.

- VST3 & VST2 Bitwig song close Ana2 remaining open bug

Fixed :heart_eyes:

Virutal Keyboard - Keys getting stuck down

Did not occur in this test session, but it’s very random and I’ve not found a way to re-produce it. It could happen in the first 5 minutes or after 15 minutes. But it is only a cosmetic issue.

Preset ratings between VST3 and VST2

What you star in the VST3 is not persisted in the VST2 version, and visa versa.

Scroll programming suggestion

Mouse scroll wheel enable lists for each pane/panel if they have enough content inside them that the scroll bar is visible, if not scroll the presets list (or just allow scroll if mouse is actually over that pane/panel).

Detect when the mouse is over the panes themselves (bounding box or get rect (TL,TR,BL,BR) for each? and mouse x,y relative to window top left x:0, y:0).

Then when the variable (string maybe) is set to presetsWindowMouseIsOver= “genres-pane”;
It then check that pane/panel to see if the scroll bar is enabled, if yes, mouse wheel scroll scrolls that pane. If not, 2 options.

1. You scroll the presets pane
  2. You don’t scroll anything

I could see why option 1, scrolling anywhere in presets window mode would scroll presets if your anywhere other than over another scrollable plane but it also makes sense for scenario 2 as you logically you shouldn’t scroll something that you don’t have focus on (your mouse is not over).

Seems logical Jim…

As you will see in the video I couldn’t mouse scroll the genres pane while over it but the presets pane would keep scrolling…

And by request… 1 Video to rule them all… :joy:

Scrum meeting in the morning… :joy:

Does this mean I can add Software (VST) Tester to CV my :joy:

1 Like

Fantastic! Tested it out and it looks like all the presets are playing properly in Bitwig. Very happy about that! Thank you!

Ana2 can replace so many other synths I honestly wonder why I have dozens of others now haha.

All it needs is a basic timestretch mode for the samples (to slow down and maintain the sample length/speed at different pitches), and mpe! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Darcey

This is being looked into by our dev. and they were able to replicate the issue and hopefully they’ll get a fix but while this is still under investigation it seems that turning the option “Plug-in Interface Scaling” off in Bitwig settings ( Windows Only ) is a possible workaround.

1 Like