Jan de Jong's Mastering tips

[quote]ICN (17/08/2010)[hr]He’s Joking Jan - He’s talking about the similarity of your surname to Kim il Jong the North Korean Communist Dictator :smiley: :wink: :cool:

[url]Cincinnati CityBeat

[/quote]

lol hahah i was

[quote]ICN (17/08/2010)[hr]He’s Joking Jan - He’s talking about the similarity of your surname to Kim il Jong the North Korean Communist Dictator :smiley: :wink: :cool:

[url]Cincinnati CityBeat

[/quote]

This man gets my vote :smiley:

From my experience you don’t really want a dj to be dialing the gain knob because they get so used to a certain volume if something sounds quite they’ll instantly think the track is amateur. It’s sad cos dynamics are so important but most listeners go by if it’s loud and banging it’s good if it’s quite it’s ****. No amount of dynamics will change this it’s just how the brain and your ears are programmed I’m afraid.

Mixing, I eq and compress each track and bring down all the faders without going over -6dB on the master. All drums are sent to a bus with PSP Vintage Warmer at default settings. Once i’m happy with the levels, I turn down my monitors at a comfortable listening level and pan each track til each element can be heard and has it’s own space. I then insert the following in my mastering chain…

1. Logic’s Linear Phase EQ
  2. Cytomic’s The Glue (Optional)
  3. PSP Vintage Warmer (just insert with default settings)
  4. PSP Xenon

If I bounce a premaster, I just turn off all the plug-ins on the master chain. If I want a louder mix level, I then select all the faders (except the busses/groups and sends) and move them all up til one of them hits red. I then slowly move them all down again til the red is gone. If I really want it to sound loud and hot, then I just increase the “In” knob on the PSP Xenon to taste (usually +2-4).

May not be suitable to everybody else but works for me.:slight_smile:

I also use the xenon it’s one of the best limiters I’ve ever used!