Drum Roll - And the winners are
From Julian -: Hey guys! Thank you so much to all that participated! We got around 130 entries and it's been a pleasure listening to all of them! I was incredibly difficult with so many great entries, but I’ve managed to narrow down my favorite picks for our prizes, as well as some honorable mentions. Here’s what I narrowed down:
It Is What It Isn’t (Arcadia 87 Remix)
- Absolutely stunning remix, incredibly written and flawlessly executed.
This remix truly captures the essence of ’It is what it isn’t’. The melancholic take on the progression takes me back to the time in my life in which I wrote the original song. The pulsing kick and atmospheric chords convey a beautiful sense of motion and ‘moving on’ in an incredibly vivid way. Arcadia87 instills a sense of nostalgia throughout the production that immediately caught my attention. Technically, I love the inventive reworking of the vocal arrangement and the reimagining of the chord progression. Engineering is top notch with beautiful space and placement of all elements, making this musically and sonically my favorite entry in the competition. Mau5trap, Sonic Academy and I are proud to pick this as our winner. Emotional, Beautiful, Nostalgic, Fantastic.
It Is What It Isn’t (Marco Remix)
- From the first note I could tell this remix would be a totally different take on the song, not only because of the key change, but the over all tone of the remix. I adore the end-of-summer feeling that Marco brings to the track with this remix. The sustained saw pads and the beautiful plucks in the breakdown create a hopeful and celebratory feeling, a total tonal shift from the original. Falling in the vein of Eric Prydz, Kaskade, and Wolfgang Gartner, some of my favorite musicians, Marco takes second place with his incredible remix.
It Is What It Isn’t (80M Remix)
- Among the hardest hitting of the entries, 80M brought me back to the days of old electro deadmau5, Chris Lake and Feed Me. Energetic & tight production that harkens back to 2011, an era that shaped me as a young musician. I love the beautiful rendition of the original chord progression used in the verses, and the energetic electro drop & corresponding sound design. This entry takes a very well earned third place.
It Is What It Isn’t (Bound to Divide Remix)
- Fantastic deep approach! Would be fitting for a Nora En Pure set.
It Is What It Isn’t (Lerry Muller Remix)
- Great classic house vibes!
It Is What It Isn’t (Sysdemes Remix)
- You’ve already won the Dom Kane remix competition, no fair! Stunning work as always!
It Is What It Isn’t (JNATHYN REMIX)
- Love the approach! The syncopation of the pads & drums is innovative and cool!
It Is What It Isn’t (meatport Remix)
- Heavy and delicious electro take!
It Is What It Isn’t (Sparkees Disco Flip)
- Impressed by the COMPLETELY different approach to the song. Great sounds!
It Is What It Isn’t (Shore Remix)
- Impressed by the use of completely original vocals!