London riots

Basically what Ant said - however this time last year after the Government announced its cuts I predicted mass strikes and riots on our streets within 2 years - well nearly right

What has happened after Totenham ie Sunday and last night I would be hesitant to call it a riot but mass looting - basically the youth (and adults) have found a weakness in the system which is being exploited on mass

Like any civil unrest the media will only publish one side of the story - youth in innercities feel they have no future many are in gangs, involved in drugs and other illegal activities, funding for college is being taken away so even the ones inclined to better themselves are struggling - funding for youth activities especially during the summer have been axed too - and no one is going to employ a hoody

On the issue of gangs it seems that the gangs have joined forces to hit the streets and the police

On the otherside of the coin - some Police had been working 20 hour shifts the past 2 days - moral is low in the Police force nationwide again due to cuts - leadership is weak due to the murdoch affair taking down 2 of the most senior police in the country - police previously have been reported that stop and search (which has always targeted black youth more) has been on the increase

Sure if you probably asked one of the looters why they are doing it they would not even know the name of the guy who got shot - or mentioned anything from the above but it is a combination of all the above

My own thoughts - do I care that Comet, Foot locker gets looted nope - but when small buisnesses and peoples homes get destroyed then yes - the trouble with this is they are destroying there own communites

[url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/08/tottenham-riots-not-unexpected[/url]

…and that

I dont agree with the no future for kids argument. Anyone can get a job, I dont care if you have to put pills in pots or pluck paprikas in a field. There are jobs out there, its just people are so damn lazy, cant listen to superiors and have a firm belief that they are owed something in this life. People complain about being poor which is bull**** as well. If you wanna see poverty go take a gander at somalia.

Poverty is relative - sure people in eastern africa are poorer

And lets face it would you employ a hoody or someone else if given the choice - also could you survive in London on a minimum wage - I think not

HoHoHo!

Watching Sky News… havent really been following the story. Man!

Manchester - Birmingham - Bristol too? Is that right? Fk’s sake.

Lads… Build an Arc, fill it with good looking female celebrities & come over to me :smiley:

Mental watching sky news - they’re talking to some hilarious people in the eyewitness reports.

Pure entertainment.

A Guy in Bristol - Clinton Brown has just ripped his shirt to “me pacemaker and ting…” to tell everyone to put down their h’arms :smiley:

Can I get away with watching this all day?

Maybe its just me being more prejudiced than I thought - but I’m surprised to see “normal” looking people rioting.

There was a Guy there with a cool hairstyle & nice fkn clothes throwing cobbles & the filth. WTF - Riot tourists?

Tracksuits… Puffa Jackets… Baseball cap… thats what y’d be thinking.

Jeans, jumper, non shaved head… seems to be a wrong fit. Like this Guy looked as if he had a fkn job & a mortgage. Maybe he just loves throwing stones?! :smiley:

Suppose its more complicated that y’d think.

I agree with a lot of what both Slender and Jan have said.

Relative poverty is a big issue in London, and governments should put their efforts into reducing this problem (rather than calling for reduced taxes for the well off for example).

But ultimately people need to take responsibility for their own situation. You are not born a hoodie, you choose to be one. People won’t employ a hoodie, then don’t be one.

Tell ya… I’m glad I went to London in July! LOL

[quote]ICN (09/08/2011)[hr]Tell ya… I’m glad I went to London in July! LOL[/quote]

Really? You don’t like free stuff? :smiley:

[quote]TheAnt (09/08/2011)[hr]

Really? You don’t like free stuff? :D[/quote]

Booking flights over now mate… How could I refuse the generous offer of the contents of your house :wink: :slight_smile:

I wonder what is going to happen tonight? 16,000 police are working in London tonight

But they still can’t touch anyone without repercussions.

I shall be watching the news and twitter feed after myALT.noize podcast goes out from 6pm on fnoob.com with Mslwte and tassid:cool:

The Sony warehouse that burnt down last night was used by PIAS, who distribute records. Rekids has lost all of their vinyl stock. Sad.

[quote]Mussi81 (09/08/2011)[hr]
I shall be watching the news and twitter feed after myALT.noize podcast goes out from 6pm on fnoob.com with Mslwte and tassid:cool:[/quote]

You are a fkn Ghoul Mr.M!

Plugging podcasts & riots :stuck_out_tongue: :hehe: 

haha! Sky News just told a shopkeeper to calm down, when he said that it was a gang of black youths attacking his shop last night.

Are Sky news going all liberal?

Riots spread to Cornwall!

Was that a Hooded Gull?

[quote]ICN (09/08/2011)[hr]Was that a Hooded Gull?[/quote]

LOL - and props for the ornithology!

[quote]ICN (09/08/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (09/08/2011)[hr]
I shall be watching the news and twitter feed after myALT.noize podcast goes out from 6pm on fnoob.com with Mslwte and tassid:cool:[/quote]

You are a fkn Ghoul Mr.M!

Plugging podcasts & riots :stuck_out_tongue: :hehe: [/quote]

ha ha #londonriot :hehe:

LOFL @ #riotwombles

Anyone see Boris’ walkabout & pep talk?!

A sheep in sheeps clothing.