Random knobs in Ana 2

I can’t figure out why there is an Input and Output knob in the FX section when there is also a Dry/Wet knob. Also what the heck does the Velo knob do on the envelopes? Does it open up all the parameters?

It’s useful to have input and output gain for distortion type effects where you want to control how much gain is going in to the effect and how loud you want it after.

The velo control on the envelope controls how the keyboard velocity effects the envelope amount.

1 Like

Hey there @Kelsey

Input/Output + Dry/Wet for the FX section : you have to think audio signal and analog workflow :wink:
So like analog gears, the more you send/inject signal into the device, the more it will react, saturate, distort…etc. So the INPUT knob is there to give you control about how much of the audio source you’re “injecting” into the FX algorithm and get either a more subtle or very pronounced effect at the output. Driving harder an effect with more input can lead to very different flavors.

The OUPUT knob gives you control of how much you want the effect to be heard.

Usually, you will start with the Dry/Wet knob set to a max value in order to listen what the effect is actually doing to your source signal, then adjust the Input & Output knobs to taste and dial back the Dry/Wet knob to blend with your source signal.

Velocity Knob on the Envelopes Controls : this is controlling the velocity sensitivity of the Filter Envelope, basically, the more you turn the velocity sensitive knob up, the more the filter will react to the incoming signal.

Hope this helps :wink:

Lol… Almost a reply in sync :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for you insights guys. I love Ana 2 when I am recreating analog patches. I guess I just didn’t understand why one would want to send less than all of their signal through or output less than 100% as it would just make the sound not as loud. Saturation from overloading the input makes sense. And I suppose the gain could always be boosted afterward.
And now I understand how the dry/wet is different from the input/gain!

I still don’t understand in what way the filter reacts to the incoming signal based on velocity :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Notes played stronger ( with a velocity sensitive keyboard ) or higher velocity notes ( inside Midi Clips / DAW ) will send more signal to the envelopes and thus make them react more. Combine with the envelope “Curve” control, it will make a slight difference on the final sound output. I see it as a “humanize notes” control, at least that’s how I understand it, ANA 2 Guru @phil_johnston should correct me if I’m wrong :blush:

OH so it’s like a mix control! The same as how there is an ENV knob in the filter section?

Kind of same principle yes, except that what you’re controlling is “How Much the Notes Velocity are having an impact on the different envelopes” and what they are linked to : the Filter Cutoff for both filters, Amp ( Volume Amplitude ) and the 4 free assignable Modulation Envelopes that you can map to any assignable source.

It’s more obvious to test the behavior of the VEL Control knob with the AMP ENV since it’s related to volume, have a play with this short Midi file that has some random velocity Midi Notes with the VEL set to 0 at first and then Full, you’ll hear a change in levels depending of the notes velocity and the VEL knob amount.

Random Midi Velocity Notes.mid (153 Bytes)

1 Like