Sound Design Tutorial

The ability to create any sound you are looking for is a must

+1000

I think that this would make a great series if Sonic Cover, some of which have never been covered in any kind of video tutorial.

Subtractive (Analogue)

FM (Frequency Modulation)

Additive

Wavetable

Physical Modeling

Phase Distortion

Come on SA! You know you want to! :slight_smile:

are there particular sounds you want to be able to create or is it a general synthesis.

in the next tut im working on ill be designing some complex pad sounds from scratch using various techniques if thats any use.

If its basic synthesis there are some good examples in the How to make tech house( the old mark knight one).

Hey Phil, You got a YouTube example or reference of the song that your tackling right now? Would love to hear what’s to come!

Raymond

[quote]phil johnston (15/03/2010)[hr]are there particular sounds you want to be able to create or is it a general synthesis.

in the next tut im working on ill be designing some complex pad sounds from scratch using various techniques if thats any use.

If its basic synthesis there are some good examples in the How to make tech house( the old mark knight one).[/quote]

Wow! Sounds good - can’t wait for this one Phil!

What I’m thinking about is a dedicated series of videos which are focussed soley on the principles behind sound design, but in a way that goes beyond the basics of oscillator shapes and basic filtering. Although this of course is crucial (after all, this is where it all begins), I quickly become lost when delving into the murky world of modulation and sound shaping.

Rather than a simple course on how to recreate famous synth sounds, it could be more focussed on the principles that lie behind it, eg. does making a snare sound inform how you might go about making certain lead sounds? Is creating a bass synth sound similar to making a bass drum sound? How? How are they different?

[quote]phil johnston (15/03/2010)[hr]are there particular sounds you want to be able to create or is it a general synthesis.

If its basic synthesis there are some good examples in the How to make tech house( the old mark knight one).[/quote]

hey phil i think the principles behind types of synthesis and a basic run through of how to operate certain synths as well as signal paths would be much better. teaching someone to make a sound is just crap imo because the will only learn how to make that one sound.

there are no rules to sound design so anything goes, but know how to use the synths is an essential.

[quote]

hey phil i think the principles behind types of synthesis and a basic run through of how to operate certain synths as well as signal paths would be much better. teaching someone to make a sound is just crap imo because the will only learn how to make that one sound.

there are no rules to sound design so anything goes, but know how to use the synths is an essential.

[/quote]

Yes - this is more what I’m thinking about. But I’d like something that goes a bit beyond the basics if possible (although of course it shouldn’t ignore these). Things like manipulating modulation parameters, how to make sense of FM synthesis, ensembles etc.

cool ill try to add some signal flow stuff in my next tut…

Cheers Phil - looking forward to it!