Tech Tips - Tech Tips Volume 40 with Owsey / 655

Tech Tips Volume 40 with Owsey

View Course

This week we welcome back ambient and cinematic maestro Owsey for an all-new set of tech tips in FL Studio.

These ten tips are a unique insight into how Owsey manages to create such epic, ethereal and transcendental sounds using unlikely sources such as a simple pluck on a violin, or foley recordings taken from everyday objects.

Throughout this course, we check out how to use different and often ignored parameters on our effects plugins along with interweaving automation to add a ton of texture and character to bring our sounds to life.

We also look at some detailed synth sound design, resampling techniques and building our own ambient percussive beats.

These tips are all about intricately shaping and delving into each individual element to create something truly unique, opening a wealth of soundscapes to use in our tracks.

Prepare to be blown away by these epic yet blissful creations and better still, learn how to make them yourself!

Cool Tips !!

For those of us without fruity plugins, is there an alternative third party vst delay which does that granular time stretch and keeps the pitch consistent when changing delay times? Thanks

Well, this is definitely a more specific FL Studio “Tips & Tricks” course, so you’ll need to adapt and make some research to apply those techniques in other Daws & using other Plug-Ins.

In the case of granular delay, I think that Unfiltered Audio “Sandman Pro” ( via plugin Alliance ) offers great options but you might want to check Audiority “Grainspace” too, there’s a course here on S.A about it as well.

Hope this helps !

Wow, that was just brilliant - big thanks to Owen (and Sonic Academy) for creating such a great series, and for sharing your techniques so generously.

As an FL Studio user who loves ambient and downtempo, this series was pure gold.

The tips and insights were really helpful, and all the demo tracks are super-inspiring. I especially appreciate how carefully thought out and planned these videos were. All the content has been distilled into a pretty concentrated format, and I got more value out of these two hours of content than most courses which are many times longer.

I also think that it was a really good idea to strike a balance between using stock FL Studio plugins (which work for everyone, straight out-of-the-box), and also third-party plugins (which provide real-world insight into how Owsey actually produces). It was good to have a mixture of the two.

Fingers crossed we’re lucky enough to have Owen’s fantastic insights back at SA soon.

1 Like

Hey @FLiK

Nice to read that you enjoyed & found this tutorial useful.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with other members here, that’s great !

Cheers !

I use ableton now but watching this I have an FL license still and sometimes it makes me want to go back and experiment with it, delay 3 looks cool!

everybody slag reverb 2 tho, why won’t IL do reverb 3?

Great tutorial, any idea where I can find the background wallpaper for FL! Looks amazing.

Hi there @intothelight

Sure, but only because you’re on Sonic Academy, what else ?! LOL
So here is the cultural bonus, cheers !

For the story behind this picture, it comes from an animate movie from 2013 by Hayao Miyazaki called “The Wind Rises”, it relates the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II. More about this here The Wind Rises (2013) - IMDb

And you can find this wallpaper here https://wallpapercave.com/the-wind-rises-wallpapers just scroll down through the pics, it should be number 9 and it’s free download.

Probably just have to drag & drop the pic to FL studio timeline to set it as far as I know.

Owsey has been amazing through all the FL Studio tutorials, been learning a lot!

Would love to see more from Owsey. His tutorials are fantastic.

good tip!

Video 2 is completely black from 2:49

1 Like

@melvinr12 yes, having the same issue on my end :confused:

Reporting this to S.A team, thank you for pointing this one out ! :thumbsup: