Tech Tips - Tech Tips Volume 57 with Bluffmunkey / 1166

Probably the best course I’ve watched on here so far. Thank you!

Nice one!

Made a long bass melody from 2017 into Synthwave.

@Tekalight

This last addition you made to the manual is interesting. It does imply that when playing a single note you WILL get 6 voices of unison, but it’s still not clear to me.

What’s important to my ears is that even with an apparent single voice being used for unison…(that’s a new one on me!!!), we can still hear oscillators phasing/beating against each other!

The manual really isn’t clear about how this works.

1 Like

great tips, great teacher, all tutorials should be like this :slight_smile:

+1 for same kind of tutorials for other genres, I think it’s really important to grasp knowledge about what makes the main genres, from history to key components like sounds, instruments used, tempo range…etc.

You’re right, I had the same feeling when playing around with this patch, it sounds more than a single voice to my ears as well, which made me write it was a 6 voices unison patch in first place, but then the manual is telling something different ?? Definitely not very clear :confused:

Really enjoyed this course, helped a lot with getting the right sounds…I’m not buying anymore synths though, I’ve got too many, more addicted to buying than making tunes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Loved this

1 Like

Hi guys, I’ve got the polysix fat line bass emulated in vital, it’s going to be part of my chillwave pack for vital. The hint is that you need to manually adjust the phase using all three oscillators and use the unison mode to get the other 3. It’s not exact but you’d struggle to tell the difference. The phasing is such that two wave iterations ping pong phase shift.

I don’t mind sharing it if I can plug my chillwave pack once complete. It contains 65 patches so far for the genre, I intend to reach 80. I’ve modelled them all on analog and FM synths of the 80s, also, I’ve emulated the simmons toms in it, several FM electric pianos, oberheims, odysseys and a few others.

Am I allowed to plug it?

Probably not the best idea to promo your own banks on the website of another company that sells banks.

Trust me on this, you’re burning bridges faster than you can build them.

But kudos for checking first.

1 Like

Yep, spot on & wise words from @Bluffmunkey here :wink: Also add to this that you’ll be promoting a preset pack for Vital Free softsynth on Sonic Academy dedicated forum… and they also make ANA 2 :grin:

I’ve also PM you with some guidelines & best practice for those kind of post on S.A forums, don’t want to spam the topic here, so check your messages on the forums and don’t hesitate to get back to me if you have more questions.

Cheers !

Thanks for an informative video! It inspired to try again to recreate the patch with my vintage hardware Korg Polysix - first time was an utter failure, and I just assumed that the software doesn’t do a good job in emulating the original one. But this time I succeeded - I realized I had just forgotten to put my Polysix into Unison mode the first time! I had forgotten that it has a Unison mode, because I just use it in Poly mode. :smiley:

Regarding the comments about the unison feature - here’s what the manual for the original Polysix says: “UNISON - This mode provides monophonic lead and bass line capabilities, with all 6 voices assigned to one note. Individual voices are automatically detuned slightly to produce a thick, fat texture.” So regardless what the software manual says, the software recreation probably uses 6 voices stacked in its unison mode as well, since it emulates the original. However, the software has an edge over the original, since you can spread the unison in the stereo field. The original Polysix has only mono audio.

1 Like

@jteir

Thanks for chiming in :wink: This quoted paragraph from the hardware Polysix manual explains better what’s going on with this rather “tricky” unison mode implementation done by Korg on this synth, even more tricky on the hardware synth perhaps ( if you don’t read the manual you might not even know that this synth has got unison capability :wink: :smile: ).

Weird Japanese minds… :smile: Well, in the end, the sound is really great, that’s what matters I believe.

Cheers !

@bluffmonkey. You seam like a nice chap, so even without the plug, here’s my preset for people, hope you all use it and like it. I shall refrain from plugging my preset, just for you lovely peeps though.

Here’s my polysix preset for vital

https://we.tl/t-S3DLijojOa

Polysix has a mod where you can change the filter slightly, here’s one with the filter mod. https://we.tl/t-XPSmr2B9Z1

There’s a complete re-creation of Fairlight CMI, available with pay-what-you-want price tag for Windows/macOS/Linux: QasarBeach CMI IIz by AdamStrange

Despite being labelled tech tips, this course was surprisingly comprehensive, one of the best i’ve come across actually. Great to hear the history and a lot of reasoning behind why things are done the way they are. Gonna be buying this as i think its something i’lll comeback to again and again. Thanks

1 Like

This course is by far the most eye opening course I’ve ever taken and I’ve taken many many courses from different platforms. It really shows how there is a history to each genre of music and distinct sounds used in it that can be studied and dissected. I would love to see a series of this for Pop music such as Disco, Trap, Hip Hop, R&B , Dance Pop, all the Top 40 stuff.

This is a great format for a style introduction. A brief history lesson, discussion of typical stylistic arrangement elements, then a light dusting of live examples in a DAW. Perfection. I feel so much more knowledgeable about this style. I remember seeing the Jupiter 8 when it first arrived in the music store back in the 1980’s. It was as if a heavenly light gleamed down on it. Now I have a UVI and an Arturia model and am very happy. I ended up going home with a used Korg PolySix but no longer have it!

1 Like

Legendary! For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!