This should start some debate

[quote]P-Shot (01/12/2011)[hr]you don’t need to know medicine to do brain surgery, but you’ll def have a higher success rate if you do lol[/quote]

Ah maybe this idea may launch a new career - wheres that knife :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I’m not sure which country P-Shot lives in, but here in the Uk you need to be a medical doctor before you can become a surgeon of any sort.

Attempting brain surgery without the relevant training doesn’t make you a brain surgeon, it makes you a nut job.

Speaking of which, Slender - step away from the knife. Anyway I thought you weren’t allowed sharp objects where you were. :w00t:

[quote]TheAnt (01/12/2011)[hr]

Speaking of which, Slender - step away from the knife. Anyway I thought you weren’t allowed sharp objects where you were. :w00t:[/quote]

It’s amazing what you can smuggle in with a little imagination and a lot of pain :w00t:

Chez Slender:

Music theory is just but a tool. Moreover thought, even if you know nothing about music theory you are still unconsciously applying it to your songs. Not only that, but it will help you get results faster. Remember that cool chord progression you made the other day? If you know a little music theory you can instantly recognize what scale it is on and begging writing a killer melody over it.

I’m not saying you can’t do this without music theory. In fact, you could sit down and just mash keys on your keyboard until you figure out all the ones that sound good with your chord pattern. But in the end is the same result music theory has discovered hundreds of years ago.

Now, if you only know and play minor and mayor chords and scales, that is when you might getting bored with your compositions. It is good thing to venture out of the world of common music theory. Experiment with dissonances and odd time signatures. Just because music theory says so it doesn’t mean it has to be done that way. Much like EQing, compressing or any other process, it is a matter of taste and depends solely on each song.

With music you are trying to deliver a message in a form of sound. Anything that helps you deliver that message is valid, whether derived from music theory or pure experimentation. Which road you take is up to you.

[quote]TheAnt (01/12/2011)[hr]Chez Slender:

[/quote]

LOL

So comfortable - I bet all the Guys are crazy about it :smiley:

I think that’s such a disappointing argument. For the longest time, I would write songs with that exact approach, where I would just alter chords slightly and mess about on the guitar to try and get something that sounded cool. Same thing with synth work, and amp work, and mixing etc. Once I learned some basic voice leading, counterpoint, and harmonic practices, though, the world really opened up to me, because I didn’t have to spend hours fiddling around to get the sound I wanted. I already knew I liked the way, for example, the 6 chord in harmonic minor sounds. I’m just saying that it definitely doesn’t reduce your imagination, if anything, it gets all of the trial and error stuff that can be so time consuming out of the way, leaving you to really spend time experimenting with ideas and new sounds, which is what it’s all about.

Also, knowing keys and scales are godly when it comes to melody writing.

I say this cause I’ve always had the natural ability to freestyle solo’s and melodies. (Played in my jazz band at school, and solo’s were my favorite aspect). But the thing is, if you do not know the key, you could hit a note thats out of key and it is EXTREMELY obvious when you do.

So if you know the scale that you’re working within, freestyle just becomes a matter of the rhythm since you pretty much know that any not you hit within the scale will fit nicely into your chord progression.