Thoughts on Remixes

Your half right. Labels want diversity but it has to be diverse within a certain style. For example a House track is remixed and you might get en electro remix or a tech house remix. But its very unlikely you will get a happy hardcore remix in the same pack.

If that makes sense…

[quote]jjdejong0 (04/09/2011)[hr]Your half right. Labels want diversity but it has to be diverse within a certain style. For example a House track is remixed and you might get en electro remix or a tech house remix. But its very unlikely you will get a happy hardcore remix in the same pack.

If that makes sense…[/quote]

I disagree though, if a label is clever and has the finances they will deliberately aim at contrasting markets they feel will bring a return. Your small fry digital labels who have no real experience in the business don’t have a budget so will usually bring in ‘up and coming’ talent who work for free and end up with 8 rather similar sounding mixes.

[quote]dirtyboy (04/09/2011)[hr]I’d say search for remix competitions which you like, knock yourself out on it :stuck_out_tongue: And who knows you might win![/quote]

Can you back up this theory hmmm :hehe:

[quote]Mussi81 (04/09/2011)[hr][quote]dirtyboy (04/09/2011)[hr]I’d say search for remix competitions which you like, knock yourself out on it :stuck_out_tongue: And who knows you might win![/quote]

Can you back up this theory hmmm :hehe:[/quote]

Hehe, somehow I can :w00t: Maybe i got lucky, but if u don’t take part you can’t win neither

[quote]dirtyboy (04/09/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (04/09/2011)[hr][quote]dirtyboy (04/09/2011)[hr]I’d say search for remix competitions which you like, knock yourself out on it :stuck_out_tongue: And who knows you might win![/quote]

Hehe, somehow I can :w00t: Maybe i got lucky, but if u don’t take part you can’t win neither[/quote]

True! :cool:

[quote]Mussi81 (04/09/2011)[hr][quote]dirtyboy (04/09/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (04/09/2011)[hr][quote]dirtyboy (04/09/2011)[hr]I’d say search for remix competitions which you like, knock yourself out on it :stuck_out_tongue: And who knows you might win![/quote]

Hehe, somehow I can :w00t: Maybe i got lucky, but if u don’t take part you can’t win neither[/quote]

True! :cool:[/quote]

Its not about winning but taking part - the two big comps I have done has certainly raised my profile

also true :stuck_out_tongue: I guess we’re both right

[quote]dirtyboy (04/09/2011)[hr]also true :stuck_out_tongue: I guess we’re both right[/quote]

Thats a first :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok Dom, lets take possibly the biggest label in dance music, Armada. Then take the worlds no1 DJ Armin van Buuren. Now we will take his latest albums singles and their remixes. Now im pretty sure have their finances in check. I definately know they are not a small fry digital label and if I can remember I definately did not see any dubstep remixes, or hardcore remixes or a drum and bass remix. The same goes for David Guettas singles. So unfortunately it is proof that you have to fit into a similair style.

[quote]jjdejong0 (04/09/2011)[hr]Ok Dom, lets take possibly the biggest label in dance music, Armada. Then take the worlds no1 DJ Armin van Buuren. Now we will take his latest albums singles and their remixes. Now im pretty sure have their finances in check. I definately know they are not a small fry digital label and if I can remember I definately did not see any dubstep remixes, or hardcore remixes or a drum and bass remix. The same goes for David Guettas singles. So unfortunately it is proof that you have to fit into a similair style.[/quote]

Never heard of Armada, have heard of Groove Armada. Armin van Buuren? know more about Armand Van Helden. David Guetta? Yeh, i’ve heard of him :wink:

[quote]jjdejong0 (04/09/2011)[hr]Ok Dom, lets take possibly the biggest label in dance music, Armada. Then take the worlds no1 DJ Armin van Buuren. Now we will take his latest albums singles and their remixes. Now im pretty sure have their finances in check. I definately know they are not a small fry digital label and if I can remember I definately did not see any dubstep remixes, or hardcore remixes or a drum and bass remix. The same goes for David Guettas singles. So unfortunately it is proof that you have to fit into a similair style.[/quote]

Who says Armin Van Buuren is world’s number 1 anyway? Please don’t tell me DJ mag. That poll is a load of b****cks and everyone knows it.

Lol its still what counts in the commercial world. If you agree with it or not or think its a load of *****. But thats not the point take any of the worlds most famous djs, the labels they release on and the remixes that get done.

This isnt about,you,agreeing with something dom its just how the remix world works. Fact.

[quote]jjdejong0 (04/09/2011)[hr]Lol its still what counts in the commercial world. If you agree with it or not or think its a load of *****. But thats not the point take any of the worlds most famous djs, the labels they release on and the remixes that get done.

This isnt about,you,agreeing with something dom its just how the remix world works. Fact.[/quote]

Actually, looks like i’m wrong on this one Jan. I’m obviously living in the past :wink:

Its a shame really cos im all for diverse remixes…

Remixes are the perfect way to be a part of something that people already love. My youtube channel has blown up from the popular top 40 songs I have remixed, and it would have never happened had I made a channel of original music. Of course my top 40 remixes would never fly at any die hard electronic music festival or night club. It is it’s own genre that has it’s own place in music.

[quote]Djreidiculous (09/09/2011)[hr]Remixes are the perfect way to cash in on something that people already love. My youtube channel has blown up from the popular top 40 songs I have remixed, and it would have never happened had I made a channel of original music.[/quote]

:wink:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist it. Basically, remixes are the easiest thing in the world to do in production. It’s like joining in on the composition a couple of days late after everyone else has worked out the hard bits. You come in and go nice one guys, i’ll stick my production around the song you created. Just like Guetta :wink: