Tuning automaticaly a sample

Tht depends what DAW your using. I use ableton so i use its own spectrum plugin. A good free vst is voxengo span im not sure if that tells you the notes. Also you can use waves PAZ if your wadded. Also if you find your using a spectrum analyser that doesnt tell you the direct note but does tell you an accurate frequency you can take that frequency and google a frequency to note chart and then compare and do it the very hard and old fashioned way but still a way that works. I would hope most daws have a built in spectrum plugin that tells you directly what note the peak frequency is hitting. Also alot of daws have an auto tune capability but might not be fully accurate. One final word everybody should be using ableton if your on a pc it really really truly is the best DAW available for pc users. I say this because i dont wanna ruffle any logic users feathers lol.

Cant believe you said that, Squawk…  Jan!

Damnit! Just when you think the coast is clear another logic user crawls out from behind the bushes :stuck_out_tongue:

For Pluck’s sake! :hehe:

[quote]Thomas.D (02/11/2010)[hr][quote]alinenunez (02/11/2010)[hr]hey dude there is an automatic option in cubase. where ur sample auto tune to the master pitch of the track . there is an icon similar to a square , when u click it it will help u to choose the master key of your song. this icon is located in the midle top of the where the rest of the tools are .

hopefully it helps

[/quote]

I, I think I have found the icon you mean, I clicked on it, it asks me to put a key and then? nothing happen here[/quote]

k dude u need to select all the samples . and it will auto tune all of them . also if you import the audio it should automaticaly tune to the closet key of the chosen scale. u might need to check the spectrum analyzer like voxengo to be sure is tuned right.

sometimes the computer tune it one tune off …

[quote]jjdejong0 (02/11/2010)[hr]Tht depends what DAW your using. I use ableton so i use its own spectrum plugin. A good free vst is voxengo span im not sure if that tells you the notes. Also you can use waves PAZ if your wadded. Also if you find your using a spectrum analyser that doesnt tell you the direct note but does tell you an accurate frequency you can take that frequency and google a frequency to note chart and then compare and do it the very hard and old fashioned way but still a way that works. I would hope most daws have a built in spectrum plugin that tells you directly what note the peak frequency is hitting. Also alot of daws have an auto tune capability but might not be fully accurate. One final word everybody should be using ableton if your on a pc it really really truly is the best DAW available for pc users. I say this because i dont wanna ruffle any logic users feathers lol.[/quote]

I have tried the Voxengo SPAN on this sample Zippyshare.com -

Hard to find which note it is on this graph, good luck if you try it. Funny thing is that I also have tried the demo version of Voxengo Soniformer and this one doesn’t show the note like the free one Voxengo SPAN. I tried the PAZ thing too, doesn’t show the note either.

That’s crazy, there should be a simple pluggin which can detect the key of a sample no ?

If I trust my ears, the sample above is in C key (tried to play around it with a synth) but I’d like to find a pluggin which say it is in C key

[quote]alinenunez (03/11/2010)[hr][quote]Thomas.D (02/11/2010)[hr][quote]alinenunez (02/11/2010)[hr]hey dude there is an automatic option in cubase. where ur sample auto tune to the master pitch of the track . there is an icon similar to a square , when u click it it will help u to choose the master key of your song. this icon is located in the midle top of the where the rest of the tools are .

hopefully it helps

[/quote]

I, I think I have found the icon you mean, I clicked on it, it asks me to put a key and then? nothing happen here[/quote]

k dude u need to select all the samples . and it will auto tune all of them . also if you import the audio it should automaticaly tune to the closet key of the chosen scale. u might need to check the spectrum analyzer like voxengo to be sure is tuned right.

sometimes the computer tune it one tune off …[/quote]

That’s what I did mate I select the sample, and I change the key but nothing happen, sample is still the same, are you sure you’re talking about this ? see the printscreen

The audio is layered. There is what sounds like a kick at the beginning and some white noise over it too. As it’s not a pure tone its key is going to be harder to nail, as there will always be some dissonant noise around it.

I stuck a band pass filter on it and then a spectrum, I kept firing the sample while moving the frequency of the filter around. Part of this was to take out the kick element, but also as the rest of the frequencies were fairly even (probably due to the white noise) checking it in smaller bands helped to look for any peaks that were there.

I think it showed some more interesting activity at around 250Hz which makes it C3, but there are other peaks too.

I also tried referencing it with C3 set as the root and it sounds close enough to me. I initially tried it with G too and nearly went for that, but think that might have been natural harmonics (they are next to each other on the ‘key wheel’)

A grab of my reference sample here:

Sample Tuning by Bang the DJ

[quote]bangthedj (03/11/2010)[hr]The audio is layered. There is what sounds like a kick at the beginning and some white noise over it too. As it’s not a pure tone its key is going to be harder to nail, as there will always be some dissonant noise around it.

I stuck a band pass filter on it and then a spectrum, I kept firing the sample while moving the frequency of the filter around. Part of this was to take out the kick element, but also as the rest of the frequencies were fairly even (probably due to the white noise) checking it in smaller bands helped to look for any peaks that were there.

I think it showed some more interesting activity at around 250Hz which makes it C3, but there are other peaks too.

I also tried referencing it with C3 set as the root and it sounds close enough to me. I initially tried it with G too and nearly went for that, but think that might have been natural harmonics (they are next to each other on the ‘key wheel’)

A grab of my reference sample here:

Sample Tuning by Bang the DJ

[/quote]

Yeah when i tried to play around this sample with a synth, I noticied the best tone was C key

can’t you just drop the sample into a sampler and tune it by ear

Yeah that’s all I did, just with the spectrum on for a visual reference

hey bro check the manual . there is specific info how that master tune works . might be that u set up later on and that is why it doesnt change the pitch. like i said check the manual . :smiley: