Understanding - FM Synthesis with King Unique / 236

nice course, But the voice let me want to sleep, i need to drink lot of coffee to watch this course.

very educational

in video 2 he says “if you’ve watched the previous video about subtractive synthesis” where do i find this video

i think he is referring to Understanding Subtractive Synthesis - A Beginners Guide | Tutorial 01 - Introduction

Man you really are King Unique, great lesson, thank you

Great introduction to FM Synthesis! Very clear explanation of the way you can build sounds with FM synthesis.
Thanks very much!

good course, great teacher.

Excellent - Logically well laid out from start to finish. Explained a complex topic in an easy to understand way. Lots of examples at every step of the way. Clearly tutor knows his stuff which comes across in a laidback way. Nice pace. Makes me feel like I’m ready to pull up my sleeves and get stuck in to getting my FM hands dirty. Well done thank you!

Great course. One of the best tutor in this academy. Thank you!

Clear and well explained

very good!! muy bueno

King Unique is a unparalled teacher… I’ve been watching all his tutorials and went from 0 to a lot in sound design theory thanks to him… But I couldn’t help noticing he struggles a lot breathing thorugh his nose, I would look for a ENT If I were him :slight_smile:

broken nose twice as a kid - this is as good as it gets :wink:

Great course from King Unique, as usual. He makes learning fun and easy.

One thing I would be interested in FM, Additive and Subtractive synthesis, is a course (or one for each) on recreating natural instruments. I think that would give me a good foundation creating original sounds as I would have a better understanding of how to achieve certain types of timbres that I might want to start from, or add to; focusing on breaking a sound down into components, and waveforms, envelopes and harmonics. It’s great to fiddle and discover new sounds, but it can also be time-wasting figuring out an idea you already have in your head if you have little idea where to start.

ie. sines are good for bass, odd harmonics are good for bells, even harmonics for organs, do you want it breathy like a flute, bowy like a violin, brassy… I got a little bit of that. I want more :slight_smile:

One of the best course on FM synthesis!

Very valuable lesson, bringing clarity to a difficult-to-grasp topic. Thank you King Unique, your synth lessons are amazing – clear, useful, and easy to follow, with laugh-out-loud comic moments to keep things lively.

FM Synthesis redux: “THESE make THOSE go wibbly.”

Excellent course! For complimentary knowledge I also recommend you check out Bryan Spencer’s “FM Synthesis 101” on here, especially the subject of “Sidebands” and the fascinating maths behind the ratio between the modulator and the carrier!

King Unique has a great relaxed teaching style and manages to pitch things at the right level and keeps even the driest technical stuff interesting. Enjoyed the course that much went out and bought FM8 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really nice and clear explaination. The only crique I have is that he uses operator which is exlusive for the 600$ version of ableton. I soemthing like dexed would have been better. However the only shown feature that that operator has that is not a feature on every other FM synth is that it has feedback on every operator regardless of the algorithm. I followed along wih the arturia DX7_V. Great course really learned a lot.

1 Like