How To Make - Opium with Jerome Isma-Ae / 705

Opium with Jerome Isma-Ae

View Course

Sonic Academy proudly welcome back Jerome Isma-Ae for an all-new ‘How To Make’ course this week and this time he’s making his and Alastor’s track Opium from scratch in Logic Pro.

With the emphasis very much on ‘less is more’, Jerome proves that sometimes you only need a handful of different elements to build a huge sounding dance floor slammer.

Starting with a rolling bass and kick we build on the groove before adding the all-important atmosphere, synth lines and a truly epic riser. Once the elements are in place we move onto the arrangement making tweaks and using automation to build tension and help with transitions.

The final result is a track that’s as addictive as the name suggests and built from the ground up in less than two hours!

Oh, wait… Jerome’s offering you guys something else other than his production knowledge!

Also with this course, we are running another fantastic remix competition! - The How To Make Opium Remix Contest is exclusive, here on Sonic Academy and you could be in with a chance of winning some cool prizes and ultimately getting a release on Jerome’s very own label Jee Productions which focuses on releasing cutting edge music and considered one of top Progressive House labels by Beatport.

After the recent success of our other remix competitions, we’re proud to have one of the best music-making communities anywhere, and the level of production skillz coming through the forums is truly amazing.
So, ourselves and Jerome are super excited to see what you guys can come up with - we know you can smash it. You can now download the stems from this awesome tune and start working your magic!

We have shown you how to make the tune, now it’s over to you to get creative, make a dope remix of this track and show the world your production talent.

Just click the ‘Enter Remix Comp’ button above to find out more! This competition is open to all Sonic Academy registered users.

Contest ends - 11/05/2019 07:00:00 UTC

What a great tut and example of less is more. Thanks for uploading this!

1 Like

great track. im a big fan of less is more. But its hard in a world of abundance. lol

1 Like

So excited to finally see this one!

1 Like

I really enjoyed this one! I’ve been messing around with the idea of less is more recently. This course had much food for thought!

Jerome’s tutorials are some of the shortest runtimes here on the site but really packs a punch. How can you not at least sit thru? Sometimes when I see “5 h 37 min” etc other tuts I’m even hesitant to watch “part 1 - selecting the kick” etc LOL - it’s amazing that Jerome captures the essence so succinctly. I’m not knocking the long tutorials. They are invaluable. But sometimes these shorter ones make it easier for the beginner to dive right in. Kudos to Jerome and kudos to Sonic Academy. So glad to be subscribing.

1 Like

Nice track choice, I was curious about this one and it’s now unleashed :slight_smile: Simple but yet very effective technique, cool track & good course.

Not gonna lie i’d taken a break from music and sonic academy but resubscribed when I saw Jerome and Alastor return. It’s very humbling and inspiring to watch two masters make something so professional from a limited number of track channels. Thanks guys!

Fantastic remix competition!!! hugs Jerome and Sonic Academy from Global Dance Radio #Colombia :slight_smile:

Great tutorial. Thank you!

I’m excited to enter the competition!

Best

Hannes Wiehager

awesome!!!

Thank you for the great tutorial Jerome Isma, And Alastor :slight_smile: x

nice!!!

Some great advice here!

Good work, thx!

excellent I’m so excited

Can we have more of these, with more power !!

Great course.

love the simple approach you take. a lot to learn fro this!!

Amazing Tutorial :clap:t3: Thank you