Looking for tutorial recommendations

Hello all,

I’m planning on becoming a subscriber and checking out some courses, but I don’t quite know where to start!

I’m working on a prog metal album with lots of synths and sound design. I’ve spent the last year or two really getting into synthesis and understanding subtractive synthesis. My ear for sounds is pretty good too (Syntorial was great for that) so feel I’ve got that covered, as well as the writing and composition.

So what I’m really looking for is more of an insight into different genres and their approaches, just getting a feel for things and hopefully picking up ideas or techniques that I can incorporate into my music. I feel less experienced with stacking multiple different sounds and creating stuff that’s entirely synth based, so I’d like to write some purely electronic stuff as practise.

I would like to get into more of the digital, glitchy experiemental side too. I’m really into BT, from the Trance to more experimental stuff, so tutorials that deal with similar genres and techniques to his work would be useful.

If any of you could recommend some courses, I’d be grateful. There’s just so much to choose from.

Hey there @Xeelee

Sorry for this late reply, been away for a few days and couldn’t check the forums :blush:

There’s really a lot of content available on S.A website, hard to point you to something specific TBH.

What I would recommend is to refine your search by Course Types and definitely use the keywords search feature as well ( by clicking on the Magnifier Icon on top-right web page ).

Here’s an example for a specific search using the word “trance”.

The How To Make series tutorials start with an overview & track play-through 1st video, that’s the best way to help you decide if the course is gonna cover the genre you’re after.

Also, if you’re new to the site, might be handy to watch this video first.

Hope this helps :wink:

Cheers !

There is also a recommendation feature on the site - if you watch a couple courses and rate them - you should get new and relevant content recommended to you from your tutorials page

1 Like