Music Theory - Keys & Scales / 424

A Beginners Guide To Music Theory - Scales

In the second of our Beginners Guide to Music Theory series we look at using scales to create a bassline. We show you the difference between major and minor scales and the formula used to work these out. We then move on to create a bassline using the scales, insert passing notes and finally using notes not in the scale within the bassline.

Course features:

• Learn to make music online, in your own time and at your own pace;

• Learn quickly from our high quality video tutorials, presented by industry professionals;

• Get the most from your equipment – there is nothing more frustrating than having kit and not being able to use it. You want to make music and Sonic Academy tutorials show you how!

Videos Overview

Lesson 1 - Intro

A quick look into what's in store for the Music Theory Course

Lesson 2 - Major Scales

Taking you through the notes in major scales.

Lesson 3 - Minor Scales

The difference between Major and Minor scale and how to work it out

Lesson - 4

Using the scales information to create a baseline

Lesson - 5

Making a more interesting baseline using passing notes from the scale

Lesson - 6

Expanding on the baseline to include notes not contained within the scale.

Great tutorial made it look very easy to work between majors and minors and not making things to complicated!

Great tutorial made it look very easy to work between majors and minors and not making things to complicated!

Just completed the Scales and Rhythm tutorial, has really helped me understand the different types of beats for different styles... well done Graham, i wish you would have been my music teacher at school!

The bass-lines in these tutorials are laughingly amateurish. It knocks an otherwise good tutorial series down a few notches.

1 Like

Anyone able to find the first in this series?

To bad mistakes are made in this course. He points out semitones while it is a tone etc....for example Tutorial 2 - Major Scales at 5:26. D3 to E3 he calls a semitone A3 to D3 also a Semitone, while it is a tone. E3 to F3 a tone, while its a semitone. He repeats this 4 times without correcting. The scale T-T-St-T-T-T-St is correct! Only if you start at the first note after C, and not on C. For someone who is a beginner dificult to correct or understand.

Seems that there is one second delay on the sound in that movie, thats why he points out another note... keep that in mind ;-)

1 Like

awesome graham thanks.after years of trying im finally getting my head around the theory.

awesome graham thanks.after years of trying im finally getting my head around the theory.

I now understand the difference between major and minor scales. Thanks guys!

IT was a good tutorial, i new the most until you started talking about passing notes or accents on bassline. It made me go wtf cool, but then again like i allways overthinks things. Its feels like im left outside, would be great to have an example of chords and melodies playing along with accented notes on bass and how it would work together with other. Anyway great start to explain

In the meantime, have a look at Tutorial 5in this course, great chord explanation - http://www.sonicacademy.com/Tr...

And Tut 4 in this one
http://www.sonicacademy.com/Tr...

Thanks alot! If you have other tutorials that go thru that i will sure have check. i will watch the whole series of them! Thanks

So informative things are provided here and thanks for providing the music beginner guide, I really happy to read this post, I was just imagine about it and you provided me the correct information I really bookmark it, for further reading, So thanks for sharing the information.
I have recently posted on find music teacher

okay this is great but now where is the series on how to make melodies and lead lines like the instructor says at the end of the video

1 Like

Great course! I had no clue about melody’s and they always sounded bad but with this course and the theory behind scales your melody’s will sound better!

It’s disappointing that this series has not continued on.

1 Like

Great course especially for a complete beginner. Thanks a lot!

Good course and great instructor! Very clear!