Music Theory - Rhythm Part 1 / 425

In the first of our Beginners Guide to Music Theory series we look at how to use Rhythm to create a number of different drum patterns for many different genres of music from House and Techno to Hip Hop and Drum 'n' Bass. From basic beat patterns to more advanced rhythmic programming we show you all you need to sequence the perfect beat no matter what style of music you're making. Also we look at how the different rhythms can be used to spice up a boring bassline!

Course features:

• Learn to make music online, in your own time and at your own pace;

• Learn quickly from our high quality video tutorials, presented by industry professionals;

• Get the most from your equipment – there is nothing more frustrating than having kit and not being able to use it. You want to make music and Sonic Academy tutorials show you how!

For full access to the Discount Rhinos walk-through: 'Kansas City Shuffle' video tutorials (and all of Sonic Academy’s other video courses too), subscribe today!

Great tutorial!! Been mixing music for years but to see the simpleness of basic structure when it comes to producing blew me away Thanx highly recomend this tutorial!

Proper annoyed with this. Considering its a beginner tutorial you could&#039ve included sound files so we can replicate everything the tutor is doing. I know the idea is theory but it&#039s nice to follow it. Had to use other sounds which weren&#039t the same so didn&#039t get the full effect.... When he started using sylenth I was completely lost. CHEERS!!

Nice, and clear tutorial on how the rhythm works. Thanks a lot.

Thanks~ very helpful

Very helpful to understand how different genres basic rhythms were constructed. this can help me in my productions as well as my djing. Thanks.

now i know why a triplet bassline tune sounded so terrible mixing into a normal grid track! thanks mate.

Very interesting and insightful. It&#039s amazing how tempo and slight alternation to the sequence of sounds can create another genre of music. Thank you.

Very interesting and insightful. It&#039s amazing how tempo and slight alternation to the sequence of sounds can create another genre of music. Thank you.

Interesting and helpful! As DAW made intuitive, it’s important to get back to basics.

Great primer on different kinds of beats.

Very cool!

This is a great tutorial, very informative in a simple way, especially for a beginner like myself! I use Logic Pro, is there a tutorial for beat making with Logic instead of Abelton?

Hi @littlebear

Though it’s difficult to point you to a specific tutorial, going to this page All Courses should help. You can use the filters & search options to find tutorials matching your needs like genre, topic, software & DAW.

There are many Logic’s tutorials ( from 8 to 10 ) showing tips about drums processing & Ultrabeat programming and also many artist full track tutorials with very informative videos about drums programming & processing.

Using filters combined with the search field ( as in the screenshot bellow ) should help you to find interesting content.

thanks!

Great tutorial for beginners, ready to watch part#2 ! thank you !

simple but its aight

Great tutorial and really interesting, hard house and hard style were mentioned but not shown, I wished it went longer and covered more genres, I found the course when I did a search for jungle but unfortunately that was not there either.

Hi there @bbu7872

Feel free to use the dedicated “Tutorial Requests” topic on the forums to post about what courses you would like to see on S.A. You can also name artists or add YT or Soundcloud links to be more specific about your requests.