Quick Swipe Comping in Ableton Live?

Hey Guys,

This is kinda an advanced question, so I hope the moderators can get involved with this one. I know Logic has Multi Swipe Comping where you have a 4 or 2 bar loop or whatever, hit record and it continues to record your performance, but it does it as individual takes. You can then take the ones you like the best from each take and such. Is this possible in some way, shape, or form in Ableton? As of right now, the only thing you can do is hit record and it just records and records and records until you stop. The crappy thing is that you have to move the loop markers and you can’t cut and paste from different performances. What are the recording options in Ableton Live other then just hitting record and playing your riffs? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

Hey howard are you talking about the resample function in ableton?:slight_smile:

No.

Lets say you are in the arrange window (which they don’t have session view anyway) in Logic and create a 2 bar empty midi clip. You can load up a synth and hit record and start to play some riffs. Lets say you play the riff a bunch of different ways for one minute and stop recording. Your two bar clip has a little drop down that has a bunch of two bar midi clips. You can from there mix and match parts so for instance, if you liked the way you played the second note in the riff on the first take and the 3rd and 4th note on the 8th and 11th take, you can just swap them out.

I just dont like the way midi recording is done in Ableton and I didnt know if there were any other options.

I don’t think this is possible in Ableton (although I’d love to be proved wrong.) This is a really handy feature in Logic but as of yet is not available in other DAWs as far as I am aware. Future request maybe?

You could just record yourself for a minute ,

then shrink the clip to two bars,

turn on loop, and set your start and end points to that 2 bars,

then

Duplicate and slide you loop brackets over 2 bars

Rinse Repeat.

Then mix and match.

Maybe not as smooth as Logic, but it doesn’t take more than a few minutes.

Old topic I know, but I’ve just made a Max for Live device that hugely speeds up comping in Ableton