Ableton project Editing

so i was working on this track this weekend, got it near complete with tons of vst automation, but after listening to it i decided that i would like to move some parts down the time line (actually move the whole track down a couple bars in some spots and more then that in others) fill in some spot with some more looping bits where i thought parts of the song changed a little too quickly etc.

my question what is the best way to move large parts of the track down a little with out destroying the hard work on all the automation i have done?

i think i might want to use the feature where you can create blank space in the time line but will this keep the automation in tact, and simply move the rest of the midi, audio and automation down?

the other thing is that after i get my blank area to get my looping bits going what is going to be the best way to chop out, say like, 4 beat loops out of the track w/o having to bounce any audio to get that whole ‘switch’ sound going on?

is it going to be best to group up tracks and record the audio (bounce) to another track and then chop? I would like to get real good at this type of chopping/looping/repeating of bars (or 1/2 bars) with out having to bounce audio down to separate tracks all the time. don’t like bouncing tracks for some reason (sucks)

thank you for any help.

:slight_smile:

p.s. should i highlight then option drag (copy/drag/duplicate) the small sections or will that not copy all the automation? will i need to have all the automation lanes open to copy all the info? < i hope not…

There is a feature in ableton in the session view… Create-> insert silence , you choose there manually and the automation moves along too . Just hold the mouse on the vertical line you want to start the time , drag it down then use the feature. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Sounds like you’re trying to get that dubstep/electro question/answer type sound. Unfortunately, bouncing and chopping is the best practice for this. When you do everything through your synths, you leave too much room for error and put a major strain on your CPU. Once its bounced down the automation will never change on you for starters. To boot, you can add new automation using the same filters to your bounced sound that you wouldn’t have been capable of just going through your synth. Most of the gnarly sounds you hear are processed ten times over after they come out from the synth. That’s why it seems so impossible to come up with that sound with a synth. It’s all in the processing. Simply put, its easier and more dialed in to process audio than it is midi… In the end, you’ll have your original sample saved if all goes wrong. If you jack the midi parts up…