Ableton Recording vs Freezing

Hi guys, I would just like to say that this is my first post here after subscribing earlier today (yaaaaaayyyyyy!!). Hopefully someone here can answer a question that has been plaguing my mind.

I am curious to know why some people prefer to re-sample a track using another audio channel, the record arm, and then play/record into the track. Is it not easier to just create the audio track, freeze the (synth) track then copy paste the clip into the audio track?

Also, am I right in thinking that freezing + flattening the track will just turn the clip/track into an audio one? Which, in my experience isn’t very useful because I like to keep my synth track around while I work on my project, but could be useful for other things (glitches and such) where you don’t need to keep the midi track around.

Any other information on freeze+flatten vs recording would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

-Shawn

[quote]goanalogbaby (04/08/2010)[hr]Hi guys, I would just like to say that this is my first post here after subscribing earlier today (yaaaaaayyyyyy!!). Hopefully someone here can answer a question that has been plaguing my mind.

I am curious to know why some people prefer to re-sample a track using another audio channel, the record arm, and then play/record into the track. Is it not easier to just create the audio track, freeze the (synth) track then copy paste the clip into the audio track?

Also, am I right in thinking that freezing + flattening the track will just turn the clip/track into an audio one? Which, in my experience isn’t very useful because I like to keep my synth track around while I work on my project, but could be useful for other things (glitches and such) where you don’t need to keep the midi track around.

Cheers!

-Shawn[/quote]

Hey Shawn welcome to the forums, as you’ve said there isn’t much of a difference, I use freeze > flatten all the time, but record is useful sometimes, you may only want to turn part of the track in to an audio for example.

Also if you use side-chain (gates, compressors) effects on a track you wont be able to freeze.

With record you can bus many things at once and record for example output from 3 tracks and send effects on to one audio track

hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

[quote]goanalogbaby (04/08/2010)[hr]Hi guys, I would just like to say that this is my first post here after subscribing earlier today (yaaaaaayyyyyy!!). Hopefully someone here can answer a question that has been plaguing my mind.

Cheers!

-Shawn[/quote]

i personally re sample as i find it quicker to get the sample out. rather than having to export then reimport the sample