Ableton Suite 8

I currently use Ableton Live 8, and am wondering if it’s worth upgrading to Ableton Suite 8?

Does anyone use the extra features in Suite:

-Operator (FM synth)

-Sampler (multisample vs. Simpler)

-Electric (electric pianos)

-Analog (analog synths)

-Tension (strings)

-Drum Machines

-Latin Percussion

-Collision

-World-class library (1600 samples)

I notice the boxed version costs 27% more and comes with a manual and more sounds:

-Essential Instrument Collection 2 (orchestral samples)

-Session Drums (chocolate audio samples)

-440 G of Loops (by Cycling '74)

-400 sample loops (by Zero-G)

Hey man…once again, it really depends on what you have already. I would just buy Sampler, and use VST’s for everything else. I do dig Operator because of its easy and straight forward to use interface, but I find that its sound is very cold. What other VST synths do you have?

[quote]howiegroove (20/02/2011)[hr]Hey man…once again, it really depends on what you have already. I would just buy Sampler, and use VST’s for everything else. I do dig Operator because of its easy and straight forward to use interface, but I find that its sound is very cold. What other VST synths do you have?[/quote]

It’s funny you said that…I’ve been listening to the FM synthesis tutorials using Operator and also find them a little “thin” sounding. I noticed in tech tip #6 there is a video exploring Ableton’s Analog and again it doesn’t sound as rich as Sylenth (which I have).

I’m embarrassed to say, I have quite a few VST/AUs now…

• Sylenth1
  • Zebra 2.5
  • Ace
  • Twin 2
  • Omnisphere
  • Predator
  • Nexus2
  • NI’s Komplete elements (don’t use much)
  • V-Station & BassStation (got bundled with controller, but don’t use much)

Also have some FX:

-UHBIK

-Logic Express AU

-FabFilter’s Pro-Q, Pro-C, Pro-L, & Volcano

How about you?

[quote]lattetown (20/02/2011)[hr][quote]howiegroove (20/02/2011)[hr]Hey man…once again, it really depends on what you have already. I would just buy Sampler, and use VST’s for everything else. I do dig Operator because of its easy and straight forward to use interface, but I find that its sound is very cold. What other VST synths do you have?[/quote]

It’s funny you said that…I’ve been listening to the FM synthesis tutorials using Operator and also find them a little “thin” sounding. I noticed in tech tip #6 there is a video exploring Ableton’s Analog and again it doesn’t sound as rich as Sylenth (which I have).

I’m embarrassed to say, I have quite a few VST/AUs now…

• Sylenth1
  • Zebra 2.5
  • Ace
  • Twin 2
  • Omnisphere
  • Predator
  • Nexus2
  • NI’s Komplete elements (don’t use much)
  • V-Station & BassStation (got bundled with controller, but don’t use much)

Also have some FX:

-UHBIK

-Logic Express AU

-FabFilter’s Pro-Q, Pro-C, Pro-L, & Volcano

How about you?[/quote]

Hey brotha…You know, i only really use Operator if I want to throw together some really really quick FX, but thats about it. The modulation section is super easy. In terms of software, all I really use is Massive, DCAM Synth Squad, and Sylenth. I have alot of effects that I use as well, however, I have a full studio in my home with alot of outboard gear. I use that for most of my sounds. I’ve been finding great tones from my modular for my dubstep basses.

agree with the operator being user friendly with its interface, starting to use them a lot now, real bread & butter synths (analog/operator… they can be a little cool but easily remedied with a saturator & some parallel dynamic over drive… :smiley:

Ahüten: not too much though !!:wink:

Looking forward to more Sampler & tension in the near future

I use Sampler & Operator al the time.

Some of the presets in Electric and tension are sweet too!

[quote]howiegroove (20/02/2011)[hr][quote]Hey brotha…You know, i only really use Operator if I want to throw together some really really quick FX, but thats about it. The modulation section is super easy. In terms of software, all I really use is Massive, DCAM Synth Squad, and Sylenth. I have alot of effects that I use as well, however, I have a full studio in my home with alot of outboard gear. I use that for most of my sounds. I’ve been finding great tones from my modular for my dubstep basses.[/quote]

I downloaded a demo of DCAM Synth Squad–I really love the presets in Amber & Strobe but need to play around with some more…

Well maybe this is the direction for me instead :slight_smile:

those are some great synths man