Ableton the best studio software?

i was just looking at the 24th IDMA (international dance music awards) and saw that ableton was voted the best studio software and Best Pro Studio Product of the Year, check out the rest of the list

http://www.wintermusicconference.com/idmaballot/nominees/2009.php

would really take much notice of that tbf! they have Deadmua5 down as best break through dj :slight_smile: sure he’s a great producer but he sucks as a dj (although he doesn’t really dj lol) he does great sets with ableton but has little to no interaction with the crowd.

and Paul Van Dyk as best producer! supreme quality productions but hes hardly pushing any boundaries is he :slight_smile: (not that being original and pushing boundaries is essential)

Well said Jon.

Am I the only one who’s not really that impressed by Deadmau5. I love the track Ghosts n Stuff (or whatever it’s called) but other than that I find his music rather boring.

still, Ableton does rock :slight_smile:

Have to agree about Deadmau5…doesn’t really do anything for me at all…certainly not breaking any boundaries. Still, like all things musical, it’s all subjective!

Ableton is great, but I’m not convinced its the best DAW out there…its great for DJing and remixing on the fly, but I think the sound quality isn’t as good as other applications and some of the effects can be found wanting.

Still, its a tool and like all tools, its what you make of it that counts. Personally, I’m big into Logic 8 at the moment…really is a superb programme, especially now Apple have got their hands on it!

[quote]bouffont (4/3/2009)[hr]Am I the only one who’s not really that impressed by Deadmau5. I love the track Ghosts n Stuff (or whatever it’s called) but other than that I find his music rather boring.

still, Ableton does rock :)[/quote]

no your not the only one lol. his tracks are not that interesting and imo he is very over rated but he is a good producer and his music is clean and crisp sounding even if not that eventful

Got to disagree guys - i’m a Deadmau5 fan!

:slight_smile:

Are we still talking about Deadmau5 as a DJ or are we talking about him as a producer??

Remember just because you’re great at one, it doesn’t make you great at the other.

Just cos you can build cars, doesn’t mean you make a good racing driver and vise versa.

I’ve not seen him DJ so I can only speak from a production perspective.

I’ve never seen him ‘DJ’ because he doesn’t DJ, i’ve seen him play LIVE though using Ableton. Was good, infact… really good. The place was rocking.

I was talking as a producer - agree he is not a DJ. He uses Ableton to sequence sets togther.

Think when he first arrived on the scene his sound was very new but now its copied a lot.

[quote]roben (4/4/2009)[hr]I’ve never seen him ‘DJ’ because he doesn’t DJ, i’ve seen him play LIVE though using Ableton. Was good, infact… really good. The place was rocking.[/quote]

i was talking in the dj/live set to me although alot of work went into the set he personally for me had no emotion doing his set think he raised his had in the air once or twice during the whole set and never really looked and the crowd at all, he spend all of his time with his head stuck looking at a laptop screen.

just with me im kinda “how’d you expect someone to get off on your music if you don’t even seem to be enjoying it”

im off to see tiesto soon and i know that guy will be jumping around and really getting the crowd going to me thats what a dj/live show should be about :slight_smile:

[quote]jon_fisher (4/6/2009)[hr][quote]roben (4/4/2009)[hr]I’ve never seen him ‘DJ’ because he doesn’t DJ, i’ve seen him play LIVE though using Ableton. Was good, infact… really good. The place was rocking.[/quote]

i was talking in the dj/live set to me although alot of work went into the set he personally for me had no emotion doing his set think he raised his had in the air once or twice during the whole set and never really looked and the crowd at all, he spend all of his time with his head stuck looking at a laptop screen.

just with me im kinda “how’d you expect someone to get off on your music if you don’t even seem to be enjoying it”

im off to see tiesto soon and i know that guy will be jumping around and really getting the crowd going to me thats what a dj/live show should be about :)[/quote]

Oh yeah i totally agree, his stage presence was sh*t, the only good thing was the mau5 head that went on for about half hour as it had flashing eyes that flashed to the kick of the music, pretty unique.

I was talking about musically though, I liked his set musically and i’d never seen the club so… hard to explain really, it was like going back to clubbing back in the 90s, everyone was there to party, the club was rammed, EVERYONE had a smile on their face and it was a thursday night! People getting up and dancing on bits like speakers, bars, etc. Was pretty amazing. These days there is a lot of attitude in the house scene, so was really re-freshing to see that kinda clubbing vibe again… it was how clubbing should be.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJaCziC_5k&feature=related

Roben:

you’ve made some really good points there to other arguments that i have with people lol, people that say the new music coming out is what has wrecked clubbing. imo thats just rubbish like you said its really refreshing to go to a club with out attitude! i think that makes a huge difference to if you enjoy the music or not.

at the end of the day on a huge club system most tracks become just a kick and bassline its the surroundings, dj’s performance and other clubbers friendliness that makes it a good night

When I used to DJ I would consider it part of my duty to interact with the crowd… I used to jump about all over the place and people used to love it.

[quote]bouffont (4/7/2009)[hr]When I used to DJ I would consider it part of my duty to interact with the crowd… I used to jump about all over the place and people used to love it.[/quote]

i still jump about now! don’t matter if its with my productions or djing (even in my house with nobody around) my wife laughs about it but its something i can’t help doing and i think its something that happens to people that naturally love dance music.

[quote]jon_fisher (4/7/2009)[hr][quote]bouffont (4/7/2009)[hr]When I used to DJ I would consider it part of my duty to interact with the crowd… I used to jump about all over the place and people used to love it.[/quote]

i still jump about now! don’t matter if its with my productions or djing (even in my house with nobody around) my wife laughs about it but its something i can’t help doing and i think its something that happens to people that naturally love dance music.[/quote]

hehe, here’s me sometime back :slight_smile:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu6TEaMzSN8]Roben @ love-tec, Pacha - YouTube

Maybe we’re all more similar than we realise haha.