Ableton - use AU or vst?

I’ve been having lots of crashes in Ableton using the vst versions of plugs - in particular Sylenth and now Alchemy - I recall it used to happen with Nexus as well but not as much lately. It is especially is problematic with Sylenth. When I get to a decent amount of tracks, adding a midi track and dropping the vst version on the midi track repeatedly causes a crash. BTW I’m on a mac OS 10.6.8 using Ableton 8.2.2 and all latest versions of the plugs. I have 8 Gb RAM and I suspect this might be a memory issue since it happens when I have many tracks including sampler tracks - and I think Ableton at 32 bit can only access 4 GB. I almost want to go back to Logic but Ableton is so much quicker and I love it with my APC40. I’m trying out the audio units version which seems more stable but I note the Sylenth GUI becomes very slow. Anyone else having these same issues or have any suggestions?

If you have 8 gig of ram I don’t think it is a memory issue mate. Sounds like it could be a dodgy vst. Maybe an effect or something?

Alternatively you should get a pc! :w00t::hehe:

If its only happening to a few VSTi’s maybe you should reinstall them? If its happening with any VSTi then maybe it is a more complex problem which I wouldnt know anything about :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m having the same trouble, only on PC.

Turns out Sylenth crashes Ableton when you drag an effect across the Sylenth GUI.

Anybody know a fix for this? I have emailed Lennar but havent had a reply yet. Ableton know about it.

Could have just wasted a few hundred on Sylenth…

[quote]Bishbo2000 (07/08/2011)[hr]I’m having the same trouble, only on PC.

Turns out Sylenth crashes Ableton when you drag an effect across the Sylenth GUI.

Anybody know a fix for this? I have emailed Lennar but havent had a reply yet. Ableton know about it.

Could have just wasted a few hundred on Sylenth…[/quote]

Yeah ive had this problem as well. Way round it is to select the track you want put the vst on and double click the vst to open it on that track. Or drag the vst around sylenth. :slight_smile:

Or close sylenth. Once you crashed your pc a few times you soon learn what to do :smiley:

Took me three goes, but I got Ableton to crash this way. :hehe:

pleased to report that Lennar replied and gave me a link to download their 2.21 beta version and so far it hasn’t crashed…

I am in love again …oh the joy…

i’ve def had this happen to me before… but chalked it up to whatever… now i know.

thanks for posting the answer!

Hmmmm…I reinstalled the Sylenth 2.21 Beta and still have problems with the vst version…

Tried the non-beta which didn’t work either. Also the suggestion about double clicking sylenth vst instead of dragging doesn’t work.

I never received a reply from Lennar Digital but au seems to work ok tho boggy so I’ll make do…