Advice needed for sending demo's?

hi guys,i’ve got a couple of tracks finished that i think are good enough to be sent off to record labels.does any one have any good advice on how to go about it?

cheers for the tech house tutorial,it was excellent!!

you could forward them to me, digital@corruptedrecords.net.

In general upload them to a good upload site and get hold of email address for labels and send that way. Big label generally require you to post cd or like me physically take the cd’s there and give them to the right people

cheers for the advice steve!!i’ll upload them over christmas and send you on the links.i checked out the corrupted website.well impressed.have a good one!!

I think it is getting a bit more difficult these days as all the social networking sites are becoming spam central so a lot of labels won’t accept basic links. Try and personalise your emails, if you do go that why, as there is nothing more obvious than the same email sent to every label. Check the labels website also as a lot of them will have advice on how to send them demos. For example CR2 only accept demos submitted to their ftp server. Also it may sound like common sense but make sure you are selecting the right labels for your music, nothing worse than demos appearing in your inbox that are completely wrong for the type of music you deal with. Getting some feedback from DJs can also be good as it shows that the people that matter are playing your stuff.

Graham

[quote]graham ginty (1/5/2009)[hr] Also it may sound like common sense but make sure you are selecting the right labels for your music, nothing worse than demos appearing in your inbox that are completely wrong for the type of music you deal with. Getting some feedback from DJs can also be good as it shows that the people that matter are playing your stuff.

Graham[/quote]

You honestly wouldn’t believe just how many people do this!! I was working A&R & label manager for a while and was always getting tracks which were completely not even close to the sound we released on the label. But then on the flip side, there is no harm because you arn’t to know whether the label you are sending your music too don’t have an affiliate label / company, or even if they are running publishing etc, etc.

The best thing to do is PHONE (or email if you cant phone) various record labels, explain a bit about yourself and ask how would be best to submit your music to them. Some prefer FTP, some are happy with links, and some still like hard copies (CD).

It takes a while building up a good industry contact database so be patient. Once you’ve got it, your contacts are like gold dust to other industry bods so keep it safe and remember to BCC if you’re sending mass email lol.