Advice on the Types of House Music

Hi

I am currently completing an assignment and need to some information on the various types of house music and its many sub-genres. Like Deep House, Progressive House, Electro House, Jackin House, Hard House, Bassline House, Funky House etc. Im fairly new to house music and get lost when trying to define and work out what is what.

Any help on this would be massively appreciated.

In particular I need reliable sources and information on the following:

How to define each sub-genre of house music

What musical and sound characteristics are common to each sub genre

What DJs are most notable in any given sub-genre

What records are some of the most popular / seminal records in any given sub-genre

What record labels are notable in any given sub-genre

What promoters or club nights operate within each sub-genre

If anyone has any advice and guidance, links to websites, suggestions for magazine articles, books or videos to watch, I would be eternally grateful.

Many Thanks

Matt.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

nice one Phil, bang on. Can you recommend any books or videos that might be worth referencing.

Some good books include:

Love Saves The Day - Tim Lawrence

Turn the Beat Around - Peter Shapiro

How to DJ Properly - Bill Brewster

Everything You Need To Know About DJ’ing - Danny Rampling

Last Night a DJ Saved My Life - Bill Brewster

There’s a good DVD called Maestro but that only focusses the New York scene in the 80’s, Larry Levan etc.

There was a decent documentary on channel 4 a few years ago about dance music, it was in three parts I think. I think the title was Pump Up The Volume, there was a cd released as well, possibly a book also? You can still see the documentary on the net. There’s loads of quotable stuff on there as they interviewed allot of the big names like Oakenfold and Rampling.