Akai mpk49

cant seem to get my keyboard set-up i just got it new and the hammer will be brought out shortly lol.

any tutorials that help me get on track

many thanks.

You have to give a bit more information. Mac/PC? Ableton/Logic/Cubase? Please give more info, otherwise, all i can do is tell you to plug it in.

Im using mac with ableton 8

cheers

google is your friend! :wink:

[url]Need help setting up my midi controller! - Ableton Forum

I’m sure it’s a plug and play. It comes with an installation disk for the vysex editor but that’s just for creating templates… Have you armed the track by clicking the red button?

What exactly is the problem?

I’ve got the same keyboard.

[quote]howiegroove (13/09/2010)[hr]google is your friend! :wink:

[url]Need help setting up my midi controller! - Ableton Forum

I use my mouse

Hey Saul… or anyone that has it…

Do you use the Arp on it? Just wondering what y’all think of it.

I’m looking out for something with an Arp  - Just want to know if it ever gets used or is a load of complicated sh!te to get to grips with in the menus.

Is it easy to use / change between note lengths / triplets etc… Does the Arp send velocity sensitive changes too?

For an Arp in this price range I’d be looking at this, or a Roland JP8000 (Good buy) or one of those new Roland Gaia’s. Hear mixed messages about the Gaia’s so dont know about that… besides theres no 2nd hand ones around yet.

[quote]ICN (16/09/2010)[hr]Hey Saul… or anyone that has it…

Do you use the Arp on it? Just wondering what y’all think of it.

I’m looking out for something with an Arp - Just want to know if it ever gets used or is a load of complicated sh!te to get to grips with in the menus.

Is it easy to use / change between note lengths / triplets etc… Does the Arp send velocity sensitive changes too?

For an Arp in this price range I’d be looking at this, or a Roland JP8000 (Good buy)or one of those new Roland Gaia’s. Hear mixed messages about the Gaia’s so dont know about that… besides theres no 2nd hand ones around yet.[/quote]

Yes, I use the arp on it sometimes, just to get an idea of sequenced notes.

It’s easy to change the notelengths, you just hit the button time division and can choose from 1/4 notes, to 1/32t all sent through my sequencer with different velocities, yes.

I don’t know if the arp only uses an up sequence, like forms triangle shapes of notes, I’m presuming it doesn’t and I’ve just not figured out how to change it :cool: Will get back to you on that one.

If I ever do get a vintage synth, for me it has to be the Sequential Circuits Prophet 5. That or the korg ms-20. :slight_smile:

Nice one Saul - Can you apply Shuffle / Groove to the Arp as well?

No, I don’t think so. It’s quite a simple arp mate.

Thats a shame then… they’ve missed a trick considering the Grooves that the MPC is renouned for.

Wnakers! :smiley:

My apologies brother, I got it completely wrong.

There’s swing and gate on it according to the manual, I’m just a total nub with the thing as I’ve yet to give it a thorough investigation. Been too busy learning how to make music!

I’m sure it’s got everything mate, that’s why I got it. Despite not knowing all the functions, yet.

Well definitely something you should try with it is jamming 1 or 2 notes,  while changing the shuffle & note lengths.

Thats really what I want it for. I’ve seen a few people do it now with synths & I kinda do something similar with the Arps in Live & Logic.

Try it on Bass, Percussion, and Hats. Really nice way to get a groove going in a live way… keep changing until it sounds cool & then record it in. Chop what you want out of it - Done.

You can gets lots of really cool sounding stuff, things that you’d never think of drawing in or be able to play. Sometimes I have to drag the midi up slightly to the 1st beat of the grid… but apart from that, it can be pretty worth it.

Brilliant tips there man. Cheers.