ANA2 Installer Not Working under MacOS BIG SUR

Hi all,

I have just downloaded and installed ANA2 and Kick2 on my Mac. Kick2 is working well.
ANA2 has been installed without any error.

My problem:

• I cannot find it on my system
  • I cannot find it in Bitwig
  • It’s NOT appearing in the Sonic Folder, but Kick2 is.

I have rebooted several times, I have tried a renew the installation, no change.

Don’t know what do anymore …

Many thanks for your support!
Tobias

Hi there @tobiasbusch

It looks like something went wrong with the installation, you should have an ANA 2 folder at this location on your Mac : /Library/Application Support/Sonic Academy ( this is the main MacOS Library, not the User Library ).

In your Applications folder you should also see a “Sonic Academy” folder with an ANA 2 sub-folder inside which you should find an Uninstaller.

Then the AAX, AU & VST plugins should also have been installed in their respective plugins directories like all other Plugins and Bitwig Studio should have been able to scan the plugins and show ANA 2 in the list.

I suggest you to try a manual uninstall following this guide from the support page, then re-boot your Mac, re-download the latest version from ANA 2 from your S.A User Account to make sure that your previous download wasn’t corrupted ( this can happen ) and make sure to use a trusty UN-archiver app to unzip the archive, then run a new installation.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need more assistance :wink:

Hey there @tobiasbusch

Have you managed to fix this and get ANA 2 installed & working ?

Hey there,

I did follow the instructions … no change.
The install process is obviously not working well.

Could you please either help me getting it up and running?

If not, please remove my license for ANA2 and transfer my money back.

Best, Tobias

Hey there @tobiasbusch

Let’s try to dive further into this, it should work, it can be something with file permission under your Mac or something with the Plugins database cache as well as the Bitwig plugin cache.

What’s your MacOS version → i.e : MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14042) your Mac model and what version of Bitwig are you using please ?

I should have asked this in the first place :slight_smile:

OK, let’s try some more troubleshooting.

Here are the folders & files that should be installed on your Mac :

• In the Applications folder : /Applications/Sonic Academy/ANA 2 → ANA 2 Manual.pdf + Uninstaller App
• In the Main MacOS Library ( not the “User Library” ) :
/Library/Application Support/Sonic Academy/ANA 2 → GUI folder, Manual.PDF , Presets folder, Waves folder and their sub-folders content.
• Plugins Install Paths ( default install location, the path is only different if you manually moved your plugins to a custom folder location ) :
• AAX : /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins → ANA2.aaxplugin
• AU : /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components → ANA2.component
• VST : /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST → ANA2.vst

Make sure you’ve tried the manual uninstall/install ANA 2 procedure without missing a step as well as emptying your trash & reboot your Mac between the uninstall & the new install steps.

If those files have been correctly installed after running ANA 2 installer, then it’s more something to do with Bitwig not being able to see & scan ANA 2 plugin ( it could have been blacklisted from a previous failed scan ).

It can also be due to Files Permissions issues on MacOS, so repairing permissions is also a step to take.

Make sure that your Bitwig version is up to date with the latest version available depending on your annual plan.

Edit : I messed up between 2 threads and Live & Bitwig in a previous post, I will edit this one and update you with more info, so don’t mind the mail with all those Live related info, sorry about that :blush:

So here you go for further steps using Bitwig Studio :

• 1 - Try to force the Plugins Database Cache & Index :

Do this while Bitwig si CLOSED.

Browse to this path : /Users/Your_User_Name/Library/Application Support/Bitwig/Bitwig Studio ( so this time it’s the User Library, if it’s hidden, follow this guide )

Inside this Bitwig Studio folder, delete the index folder then start BWS again, it will re-scan all your Plugins as well as your audio database, so it might take some time.

2 - To completely “Reset” BWS to default, you can browse to /Users/Your_User_Name/Library/Application Support/ and delete the entire Bitwig folder, next time your start BWS it will force a complete BWS reset and Plugins & Audio new scan as well as your Preferences reset, you’ll need to authorize again.

For anything about license, purchase you can send a mail to mailto:customerservice@sonicacademy.com and you can also open a support ticket if you need further assistance.

Hi Stephane,

I am using the latest version of macOS Big Sur on a Mac mini and the latest version of Bitwig (3.3).

**• In the Applications folder : /Applications/Sonic Academy/ANA 2 → ANA 2 Manual.pdf + Uninstaller App **
myFeedback: No ANA2 folder. Just the KICK2 folder.

• In the Main MacOS Library ( not the “User Library” ) :
/Library/Application Support/Sonic Academy/ANA 2 → GUI folder, Manual.PDF , Presets folder, Waves folder and their sub-folders content.
myFeedback: I can find the folders Waves and Presets but no manual or GUI folder.

• Plugins Install Paths ( default install location, the path is only different if you manually moved your plugins to a custom folder location ) :
**• AAX : /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins → ANA2.aaxplugin **
• AU : /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components → ANA2.component
• VST : /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST → ANA2.vst
myFeedback: Those three ANA2 files are not in the folders listed above. The relevant Kick2 files are.

Make sure you’ve tried the manual uninstall/install Kick 2 procedure without missing a step as well as emptying your trash & reboot your Mac between the uninstall & the new install steps.
myFeedback: Sorry, but why Kick2??

If those files have been correctly installed after running ANA 2 installer, then it’s more something to do with Bitwig not being able to see & scan ANA 2 plugin ( it could have been blacklisted from a previous failed scan ).
myFeedback: Blacklisted???

It can also be due to Files Permissions issues on MacOS, so repairing permissions is also a step to take.
myFeedback: Which file permissions? I haven’t changed any permissions at all and again, KICK2 did work properly.

Make sure that your Bitwig version is up to date with the latest version available depending on your annual plan.
myFeedback: It’s up to date.

I did not walk though the Bitwig steps so far since the installation is obviously not working well.

Merci, Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately what I was afraid of is confirmed → using MacOS Big Sur :scream:
Is it also one of these brand new Mac Mini running on M1 Chipset ??

I really don’t have any feedback about Sonic Academy Plugins and compliance with those Mac’s models and MacOS Big Sur, it was recently told users to just wait before upgrading OS, but I guess people getting a new Mac Mini don’t have the option since it comes with Big Sur Pre-installed.

So following this new info and reading your comment, it looks like ANA 2 Installer didn’t work on MacOS Big Sur since you can’t see those files on your system.

No more we can do here on the forums I’m afraid, I’m forwarding this to S.A team → @bryan_spence so that seems to be the 1st MacOS Big Sur case, have you guys been able to run any test so far ? Looks like Kick 2 works but not ANA 2. Installer might need an update. Thanks for your feedback :wink:

@tobiasbusch

Other points following your reply :

Just ignore the mention of Kick 2 ( read ANA 2 instead ) in my previous post, I messed up with 2 different threads on the forums as mentioned before.

Plugin Blacklisted ?? → If your plugins don’t pass a successful scan test from your DAW then they’ll be ignored and put in a “Blacklisted” status, that’s where deleting the INDEX folder in Bitwig Studio user library preferences helps.

Files Permission : That’s related to your Mac OS, file permission sets the user & system reading/writing access to files & folders on MacOS, this can get corrupted/changed over time, so using system preferences or disk management to repair permission can help.

I’ve tested the ANA 2 installer 3 times on Big Sur 11.0.1 Seems to install with no issues here.

If you would like i can do a screen share and see if i can figure it out or you?

drop me an email: phil@sonicacademy.com

1 Like

I’m wondering if this is not on a specific M1 chip new Mac Mini with Big Sur, have you tested the installer on an Intel Mac running Big Sur ?

That said, it could still be something that went wrong during the first install but then I was expecting the manual uninstall/reinstall procedure to solve it.

Definitely be cool if you can directly help the user :wink:

Cheers !

I am using an Intel Mac with Big Sur. I use Logic Pro and the install is failing for me as well. The install seems to run fine but Logic never sees the plug in.

1 Like

@michaeleherman

Not able to do test on Big Sur on my end so not much I can do here on the forums unfortunately. That said, since already previous versions of Logic, you need to at least to " Log Out" from your MacOS account or even reboot your Mac for some Plugins to appear in the Plug-In Manager.

Another thing that I don’t expect to have changed ( but again, I’m not running Big Sur ) is to manually clear your AU plugin cache database forcing Logic to re-scan all your Plug-ins on next start, it can take some time depending of the quantity of Plug-ins on your system but it might be worth to give it a try.

Here’s how to do this :

1 - In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.
2 - Type ~/Library/Caches in the “Go to the folder” field & Press the Go button
3 - Remove the “com.apple.audiounits.cache” file.
4 - Remove the ~/Library/Caches/ AudioUnitCache folder.
5 - I always advise to reboot after that and on next boot, start Logic and it will re-scan all your Plug-ins.

But again, if it doesn’t work you’ll probably need to submit a support ticket to S.A

Hi Phil,
I did drop you some emails but you did not reply.
Did you receive them?
Best, Tobias

Hi there,

I don’t know what to do anymore. I am still waiting for Phil Johnston to get back to me for a screen sharing session.
Unfortunately I am not getting any feedback at all. I have been frustrated for too long now.

Is this what you call good customer experience???

Could you please ask Phil or someone else to reply to my emails???

Tobias

Hi Tobias…

I havnt been getting any emails… did you send to

Phil@sonicacademy.com

1 Like

@tobiasbusch

Hi Tobias,

Sorry for the delayed reply, just reading your post this morning here, but I can see that Phil has replied to you already, hope you guys get that email thing sorted out and that you’ll be able to schedule that screen sharing session.

Hey there Tobias,

I’ve sent you 2 emails using your forum’s email address on Saturday morning around 10am, still awaiting for a reply. Please check your spam folder and let us know if that solution worked, thanks.

Issue solved by doing a manual uninstall / Install procedure following the initial installation of ANA 2 on Big Sur.

Confirmed by end user’s email :

On 15/12/2020 11:12, Tobias Busch wrote:

Hi Stephane,

thanks for coming back!

I have gone through the manual installation process, rebooted and scanned for new plugins and now it works!

Many thanks for your support!

Tobias

Hi,

I just purchased ANA 2 and i’m getting a plain black miniature GUI in Logic, reinstalled a few times, no change.

Mac OS Big Sur / Logic Pro 10.6.1

Could someone assist? i can send a screen shot if needed.

Thanks!

C

Hey there @chrisbrown

Did you follow the manual uninstall procedure when trying to re-install ANA 2 ? This seems to fix the issue with Big Sur. Let us know if that works for you as well. It’s a workaround solution for now, the devs are working on Big Sur & also Apple silicon M1 chipsets compatibility for future updates but this is still under progress.

It worked! Thank you!

1 Like