Any chance to briefly explain what youre doing instead of just showing?0

So considering lots of these tutorials arent really conventional workflow tutorials and are more so just teaching you how to build the track when supplied with the resoruces. Is there any chance we could get a bit more verbal communication about WHY youre doing something in the video rather than just showing us and us accepting that you are doing it?br
br
If you arent sure what I mean, some examples you could explain would be:br
br
When showing us the notes of the melody, maybe briefly explain why you are using those notes? Are they based on your chords? Are you using a pentatonic scale based on the chord below? Or are you using a pentatonic scale based on the entire key? Or are you even using the pentatonic scale?br
br
Why are you using those notes in your Arp? Are they notes based on a chord progression you arent using in the track that was only created so you could get arp notes? how did you come up with these notes? Are they the same notes as the chord? Octaves or harmonics of your chords? etc… Its as simple as just mentioning it.br
br
Is this melody phrase counterpoint to the main melody line? Or is this the main melody line? br
br
Why are you making your bass in this rhythm? Is it the same rhythm as the chords or something? Where did the rhythm come from to begin with? The bass or chords? Or was the rhythm based on drums? br
br
Also, maybe a little workflow about how you came up with the chords? Where you started, where you inverted, etc… Your end result is always very unconventional chord voicings. Dont get me wrong, they sound good. But they are weirdly put together and it would help to know how you ended up coming up with a chord that has 6 notes and uses the root note 3 times. Ive ran into some really oddly voiced chords in your tutorials, although they do sound good.br
br
I spend too much time when watching these videos trying to figure out why youre doing something when we could just be told. We dont just need to be shown how to do it. We need to be shown what to think in order to actually do it on our own.br
br
br
Its just stuff like this, this is where the real learning happens…When we can get in your head and understand your workflow so we can recreate our own stuff rather than just putting together the stuff you show us. Im not asking to make the tutorials longer or something. Just be aware of this stuff when youre commentating. Id love to know how or why you came up with a certain clip, not just "ok we have this clip, now put it at bar 16"br
br
I dont agree with the mindset im about to mention because there is good information on here if looked at properly, but I see a lot of people saying they dont like sonic academy because its more for beginners. If you dont want to be labeled as a site for just beginners, you need to appeal to more experienced peoples needs. Experienced users care more about the theory and mindset of the person producing so they can reproduce their own stuff based on the ideas. No one that already knows how to piece together a track is going to care about watching you guys do it. That might change if they could get some insight to why youre doing what your doing.br
br
br
Ok thats enough typing, I think ive made my point haha.

I totally agree… some of the HTMs can be a bit painting by numbers.br
br
The Fast track builds where aimed at more advanced users so we brush over the basics… how to load samples, program basic sounds etc. but go more indepth about the “whys” of things.br
br
I think the trance 2.0 one is a good example of this.

Thanks Phil, I havent done Trance 2.0 yet. Although im wondering why because I think youve actually told me this same thing about 2.0 before. br
br
Ill do it right after im done HTM Electro House 2013.br
br
When I was listening to the 2013 playthrough all I could hear in my head was a flute and saxophone remix so im working on that right now. Replacing the pulse blip with a flute and Ocarina and writing a sax solo over it. So we’ll see how that goes.br
br
Thanks for the quick reply, was hopin you guys didnt take it the wrong way. Which obviously you didnt.

[quote]DBK (26/11/2014)[hr]br
Thanks for the quick reply, was hopin you guys didnt take it the wrong way. Which obviously you didnt.[/quote]br
br
yeah we love constructive feedback. keeps us on our toes :wink: