Anybody clue'd up on copyright?

If an acapella is for sale on beatport, does that mean that you can do what you want with it and there’s no comebacks? I mean surely, if you put something like that out there for anyone to buy, you cant kick off if people use it in their tracks?? I’ve bought and used the acapella from kings of tomorrow - Finally and I was just wondering if I still need to ask permission from sandy rivera and co.

Also, because I’ve made everything from scratch bar the vocal, can I name it “Martin Waite Feat. Julie McKnight - Finally (Bigroom Mix)”

Sounds better what it is at the minute.

Cheers lads :slight_smile:

I guess you bought one from a Defected Records acapella?

Well, it depends on the license you bought. You don’t own it out right, you bought a license to do certain things with it - incl listening to it. I imagine that the license is limited to playing it out in live DJ sets and doesn’t include the right to create a new track and sell it. You can do that of course but you’d probably have to pay Defected a royalty to do so.

S**t. Ah well. Suppose I will have to contact them when I finish it then. If I finish it. Getting stuff up to the same standard as pro producers is harder than I thought it would be. If you got time, the tune is here. Any tips on how to polish it up or anything you think would help would be sound. Cheers Jon.

http://soundcloud.com/martinwaite/martin-waite-feat-julie

[quote]Martin Waite (30/06/2011)[hr]If an acapella is for sale on beatport, does that mean that you can do what you want with it and there’s no comebacks? I mean surely, if you put something like that out there for anyone to buy, you cant kick off if people use it in their tracks?? I’ve bought and used the acapella from kings of tomorrow - Finally and I was just wondering if I still need to ask permission from sandy rivera and co.

Also, because I’ve made everything from scratch bar the vocal, can I name it “Martin Waite Feat. Julie McKnight - Finally (Bigroom Mix)”

Sounds better what it is at the minute.

Cheers lads :)[/quote]

When you buy anything from synths, to vocals, or even photographs, if it doesn’t say it’s royalty free, then you are not allowed to push it as your own without prior permission from the owner of the material.

It’s right that when you purchase an audio track (such as an acapella) you have limited use with the license that comes with it, unless stated. Signed material will have a label and a publisher, one earning royalties through sales and the other through broadcast and various publishing, all having a stake in the original copyrighted material. Exploiting it for commercial gain without permission from both parties in walking on thin ice, be careful. Contact the label, and for info on licensing, contact the PRS.