Are we ever going to get this MIXING tutorial?

[quote]Roben (12/12/2010)[hr][quote]justinperea (11/12/2010)[hr]is this also including mastering?

I would love to know what frequencies instruments “should” be in in different genres (especially electro house)

Like the:

-Kick

-Snare

-Bass

-etc.

Would be really helpful.[/quote]

Hey Justin,

This may help you out! Print it and stick it up on your studio wall, it’s really useful :slight_smile:

[url=http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/legacy/futuremusic/FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg]http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/legacy/futuremusic/FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg[/url]

But yes, I agree even discussing those points would be really valid resource to people, sure there is the diagram above, but A: it’s nothing to do with SA and B: it’s just a diagram, sometimes people find learning easier being shown ie: video / audio.

[/quote]

Wow this is awesome.

Thank you =]

Yeah Count Me In

Scott Mclean reckons hes gonna teach people how to proffesionally mixdown and master a trance track.

Would be great to see this, Trance is definitely a genre that needs professional mixing due to it’s complexicity.

Hopefully when Phil does this trance tutorial he could have a good few sections of the tutorial dedicated to the mixing process too!

Im interested in how he mixes and masters his main room house tune too tbh any tutorials on mixdowns and mastering is of great value to me. When is the next main room house part coming out? Even though it prolly won be an in depth tutorial on mixdown it will still be something !

Even though I hate to say it…Roben is right:P

I’ve only been doing this for about 8 months and have progressed rapidly due to watching, reading, and experimenting.

A major part in the learning process is seeing the concepts that we read about put into practice.

I feel you would be doing a disservice to the site and its members by not including it.

Damn straight i’m right mofo!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

hehe

If it could be massively applied to the end of the Main Room House tutorial and the forthcoming Trance tutorials then that would give good insight into professional mixing for different styles, would help us out so much!! :cool:

+1

+2

Phil, how about doing a video on matching your track’s master channel EQ curve to that of professional tracks of similar genre?

Including indepth about mid and side frequency monitoring and mixing.

I bet a lot of people would really value this.

This might help.

Guys I really think mixing is just about practicing.

Hopefully this isn’t seen as some sort of spam but I bought a few dvds of Rick Snoman last year. In these dvds he makes a professional trance track from the very start right up to and including mastering. The best tip I could give is get a solid drum groove going and nail down your synthesis. When i hear people saying how they need their tracks mastered to sound professonal, alot of time the mix just isn’t grooving right due to crappy synthesis.

Also as Rick was doing the track he did some eqing as he went along. This was just to make stuff sit better etc. However he didn’t call any of this mixing(I supose in away it is but if you look at it in another way your just getting the timbre you want) When he finished makig the track without mixing, the track was already 90% done. Everything was grooving and everything sat great in the mix. Now when he actually starts mixing he basically just tries to make everyhting sound better than before by making minor tweaks via eq. I shoud also add he makes very good use of a transient designer and I think he has OCD with it lol.

Now he bounces down the track and is ready for mastering. He does all the typical stuff of leaving it for as long as possible etc. When he comes back he pulls up several reference tracks and decides what he wants ot do with it. This consists of a little eq, compression and limiting. Basically all he is doing here is bringing up the level of the mix.

I guess what I’m trying to say is before you even start mixing, everything should sound pretty good and use of “poor” timbres and synthesis in a mix, especially in trance, will just give you a bad mix.

See this is the thing, there are conflicting opinions on how mixing should be sorted. Some producers do it as and when they’re making their track, some people do it after, some people do a bit during and a ‘final’ after.

However if people don’t have a real idea about how to get a professional sounding mix in the first place, ie: EQ curve, dynamics, stereo space, leading sounds, background sounds, etc then how can they possibly get the option to ‘choose’ how they’d prefer to mix?

I watched a good 6/7+ hours last week on mixing alone by a guy who’s doing online tutorials (i won’t mention where because it’s technically a rival site so don’t ask) and these videos were really in depth, informative and really opened doors into mental understanding of a good mix.

I really believe that SA should be supplying something like this for it’s members, sure there is a basic to mixing, such as using EQ, reverb, panning and delay, however with out any thorough understanding of the whys or the how muchs or even how to reference it properly, such as understanding your mid frequencies and side frequencies and getting them sitting in a good professional looking curve, then how could you possibly ‘just know’?

There are no videos on SA that cater for this which is why I’ve asked for it.

Sure, i don’t need to personally see a mixing video anymore as i’ve been fortunate to have seen the massive resource that took HOURS of indepth video, but it’s for the good of SA members & future SA members and I know most people here would be surprised and would learn something.

You can’t have a good master without a good mix.

Mixing is undervalued, to hire a mixing engineer costs about £150+, to hire a mastering engineer costs about £35+, the figures speak for themselves.

[quote]Roben (12/01/2011)[hr]

Mixing is undervalued[/quote]

This is so true. I bet you will find lots of threads from people asking about a “special master chain” but you really don’t see that much about mixing.

When you think about it with good mixing, mastering is nearly not needed.

One thing that really has stopped me from progressing was also taking in too muich knowledge and taking every thing a professional said to be true. An example of this is I knew my records were too dull sounding but I would never boost frequencies because I was told it was “bad”.(This seems stupid but it’s true, I just never changed it because somebody told me it was wrong. There is no wrong really.) I would never add reverb to huge trance leads when they needed it etc.

Roben the biggest thing about mixing I think is that every one does it different. I’m willing to say alot of the top earners on beatport were never thought how to mix but they just picked it up over time.

Mixing to me is just making decisionns. Alot of the decisions can come before you even touch your DAW e.g. I want my bass to be raspy and bright. I want my hats to sit low in the mix e.g less transient on hats/lower on fader/some eqing/right timbre selection for the mix.

Can you see how mixing is just choices based on how you want your tunes to sound. Yes there is some technicals when it comes to using an eq but really not that much.

Deadmau5 for example uses very little reverb. That is a mixing choice, he wants everything up front. However just because he does that doesn’t mean thats the way to mix. Alot of trance is heavy on reverb and delay on leads. At the end of the day they are all just decisions based on how the producer wanted the track to sound.

Holy essay

Define “mixing” in real detail - items by item.

I’m not trying to be an arze, just thinking that there’s probably as many different definitions for exactly what people want form a ‘mixing’ tutorial as there are contributors to this thread.

[quote]jonsloan (12/01/2011)[hr]Define “mixing” in real detail - items by item.

I’m not trying to be an arze, just thinking that there’s probably as many different definitions for exactly what people want form a ‘mixing’ tutorial as there are contributors to this thread.[/quote]

Actually that is a very good point :wink:

and there is so many ways to go about mixing, its personal perfferance I think, I mix while I go as I cant move on unless I’m 100% happy!

I know some people dont do a mix till after the track is arranged like the guy roben is talking about- each to their own I’d say but there is a lot to it and like roben I had my eyes opened when I watched hours of theses vids.

Small things like on a sub boom cut anything below 30hz as it will effect the loundness and quality when mastering, learning about mid & side and professinal EQ curves etc

Its all the mix if you ask me, this can be the differents between a tune sounding good or crap.

i think phil is trying to make artists out of us all by NOT having us go by a strict code with everything. mixing included!

i think he i saying develop your ear to know what sounds good in a mix. put it in its right frequency so it won’t clash, and let it ride!

mixing to me is a producer’s way of putting emphasis on parts of his track without clashing with other parts and ONLY the producer would know what parts they want to come out in a mix.