Are we ever going to get this MIXING tutorial?

Apart from myself doing so last year, there has been a handful of other people who’ve also requested this over the last few months.

So the requests have been there, and we are really due some advanced series tutorials again.

Would be great to see this on the cards finally.

I’m all for this :slight_smile:

+1

would love to see an in depth mixing and e.q tut

@Roben

would be nice to see how they work their mix out . but i sincerely think that u know already everything about mixing .

remember that Accustics play a big part on the Mix down.having a good monitors and a room treated . pays off at the time of mixing.

IMO

+1

I know a bit alinenunez but i’m really still no good at it, it’s the one thing that really is the big struggle for me, i’m average but not pro.

Kinda like my mastering skills i guess.

Sure I know the basics like the levels, panning and EQ, but there is more to it.

I also think seeing how different people mixdown can be very educational.

i sent phil a whole project file as he was going to do a mix down vid… never happend however…

Completely agree. Overall mixing would be great. I’d also like to see tips and tutorials of even localised mixing techniques - e.g. getting Kicks and Bass to sit together properly. No matter how much I read up and experiment and try things, i can never get my Kicks and Bass working together properly.

One comment from the label I got from a track I made which I thought the mix sounded great said: “…the mix it doesn’t sound pretty good.”

So let me explain, i’m not looking for a basic mixing tutorial that explains levels, panning, delay and reverb, what i’m asking is for something that covers what a professional mix engineer to do.

I know in my course i’ll apparently be covering mixing and mastering in the second year but i really don’t know how advanced this will be, it’s an advanced course but at the moment everything i’ve been learning hasn’t been anything that I didn’t already know, that’s not to say I know everything advanced in production, but what they’ve taught i’ve viewed to be pretty basic / intermediate knowledge.

SA has covered a lot of ground in the production world, even a mastering tutorial, but there hasn’t been anything dedicated to MIXING.

The funny thing is, if you sent your track out to get professionally mixed, it actually costs a lot more than getting your track mastered. So bear in mind that mixing is an advanced and important section to production and engineering.

Mixing tutorial - So important the topic deserves being bumped up straight to the top of the forum.

Any person seriously into production should be +1ing this thread.

+1

like the in depth compression and reverb tutorials I’d love to see something similar for EQing and the other aspects of mixing.

+1

I think the problem with a mixing tutorial is its really about if you have a good ear for how things should sound.

You cant get good at it overnight… you might already be tuned in and be good at balancing things or it might take you a while to tune you ears to the sound you want.

I kinda hear things in shapes and colours… sounds weird but I like a mix to have an oval shape in my head.

A detuned saw sounds red and spikey. drums sound yellow brown.

Apparently this happens due to more pronounced cross wiring between the left and right hemisphere of the brain… its called synesthesia pretty common more than 1% of the population.

Yeah i know what you mean.

[quote]phil johnston (09/12/2010)[hr]I think the problem with a mixing tutorial is its really about if you have a good ear for how things should sound.

You cant get good at it overnight… you might already be tuned in and be good at balancing things or it might take you a while to tune you ears to the sound you want.

[/quote]

I agree on that !!! i think it would be imposible to decipher when he knows that is sound right

I appreciate what you’re saying Phil but the exact same thing can be said for Mastering. Yet there was a Mastering tutorial.

Sometimes even what may be viewed as ‘simple’ for some, may not always be the case for others, sometimes people need to physically see someone else doing it to grasp a picture and understanding within their own mind or the processes and techniques involved, just like with mastering.

Plus not everyone has synthesesia (sp?) lol

Perhaps you could show people the techniques behind getting that ‘oval’ shape in sound that you described? Perhaps you could discuss what kinda sounds sound better where in the spectrum and why?

There is many things that could help paint a better picture for SA members when it comes to mixing. All of which could be thought off and applied to whatever genre they’re mixing.

So sure, there is different methods for different genres, but there will still be a ‘general rule of thumb’ or techniques that can be applied to all genres.

For the record i’m aware panning / levels / reverb / delay get your oval sound, but i do think there are people out there who would really benefit from getting to see a dedicated tutorial of this nature.

I too would love to observe you mixing a track, why? I’ve never seen anyone do it! It really helps watching a professional, even if you ‘know’ some of what you’re supposed to do when it comes to mixing, it’s great to just watch and learn.

When i was learning to DJ many years ago, i used to just watch DJs in the clubs and observe what they were doing, sure i knew what they were doing, but i learnt a lot just by watching a professional doing it.

I think this is why i personally have been able to pick up production really fast, watching your SAs tutorial videos is a really good way of implanting confidence in the techniques, because you’ve already seen and copied what a professional has done.

Please give us a mixing tutorial Phil, it would sit really well in this already vast (but not complete) library of good resource!

is this also including mastering?

I would love to know what frequencies instruments “should” be in in different genres (especially electro house)

Like the:

-Kick

-Snare

-Bass

-etc.

Would be really helpful.

[quote]justinperea (11/12/2010)[hr]is this also including mastering?

I would love to know what frequencies instruments “should” be in in different genres (especially electro house)

Like the:

-Kick

-Snare

-Bass

-etc.

Would be really helpful.[/quote]

Hey Justin,

This may help you out! Print it and stick it up on your studio wall, it’s really useful :slight_smile:

[url=http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/legacy/futuremusic/FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg]http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/legacy/futuremusic/FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg[/url]

But yes, I agree even discussing those points would be really valid resource to people, sure there is the diagram above, but A: it’s nothing to do with SA and B: it’s just a diagram, sometimes people find learning easier being shown ie: video / audio.