Are we really gonna see any dollar?

What’s your thoughts on actually getting paid? I see some of you guys have been having success and getting signed. I’ve had four tracks signed now and another two are in the process of being signed, but are we just having the p1ss taken out of us? The first track I had signed was ages ago now and some friends have bought a copy off beatport, but I ain’t seen a penny of the royalties?? It’s been well past the “yearly quarter” that someone mentioned before. I should at least be seeing a couple of pennies.

I don’t expect to earn a living making music, but i do expect to be paid something, however little the amount. Us guys on here are working our nuts off making music at every opportunity that we can steal with our busy day jobs and family life on top. I hope these millions of online “labels” are not just scooping up loads of tracks from honest hardworking aspiring producers and raking in the profits!!

Thoughts?

Hey Gav, don’t forget that most contracts stipulate thatbthey don’t pay royalties when the amount is below a certain threshold, say, £10 accumulated. That’s probably why you’ve not seen anything yet. I’m in the same position from my first release. I doubt that it sold enough to warrant a royalty cheque. I may chase that label after it’s been put for six or nine months just to get a report on sales.

Hhmm, thats a good point! I’ll have to run through the contracts with my legal team and see if anything has been missed :stuck_out_tongue:

Has anyone seen a penny?

any ones i have seen have been $50 threshhold ie when my percentage of the sales accumulates to $50

i got a royalty statement a while back and i had earned €1

so it wont be at the 50 for a while yet :wink:

i reckon unless you are making real hit tracks then royalties arent the main point of releases unfortunately

its more promotion/kudos

you could as easily give your money away free but that doesnt have the kudos associated with being released on a label.

or start yer own label if want to see any dough (or maybe you wont)

did you pay for mastering or did the label? they will prob be covering the cost of that out of your share before any goes to you

if i could have a penny every time i hear this :P. but yeahh man the best u can do is gigs. and thanks to labels u can expand your territories and network with Promoters and even big producers that might teach u something.

as long as i know there is no money on just producing music .

Damn better cancel the Ferrari

[quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr]Damn better cancel the Ferrari[/quote]

Whatever! You can’t even drive! :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t be arsed with anything other than making music, so I’ll just wait 10 years and collect my pound from paypal! :smiley:

[quote]gavisthename (11/05/2011)[hr][quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr]Damn better cancel the Ferrari[/quote]

[/quote]

It was a toy one :frowning:

[quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr][quote]gavisthename (11/05/2011)[hr][quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr]Damn better cancel the Ferrari[/quote]

[/quote]

It was a toy one :([/quote]

oh! … that’s a little sad … I weeped slightly! :frowning:

Just seen that my second EP has been given a release date, so if all goes well, in 10 years my promise to Slender is that I will buy the toy car he’s been after!! :smiley:

[quote]gavisthename (11/05/2011)[hr][quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr][quote]gavisthename (11/05/2011)[hr][quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr]Damn better cancel the Ferrari[/quote]

[/quote]

It was a toy one :([/quote]

oh! … that’s a little sad … I weeped slightly! :([/quote]

I thought you stopped the breast feeding by now :w00t:

I have, but man these jugs are still full! There’s bound to be some seepage! :slight_smile:

[quote]gavisthename (11/05/2011)[hr]I have, but man these jugs are still full! There’s bound to be some seepage! :)[/quote]

Bottle or use it for porridge :wink:

I’m gonna have to think of something, they’re dripping like a busted shower head!

[quote]gavisthename (11/05/2011)[hr]I’m gonna have to think of something, they’re dripping like a busted shower head![/quote]

Thanks for that Gav - nice image to start the day :smiley:

[quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr][quote]gavisthename (11/05/2011)[hr]I’m gonna have to think of something, they’re dripping like a busted shower head![/quote]

Thanks for that Gav - nice image to start the day :D[/quote]

Lap it up bitch! :wink:

I’m gonna say NO on this one because i personally believe that you have to be doing much more than just making music to earn from music.

Many of the “PRO’S” as well as releasing tracks regularly are also either

Writing for magazines

Teaching at music colleges

helping develop software

working with bands

releasing sound set (for synths and sample packs)

Producing for others

Regularly DJing

or all of the above !!!

Are we really gonna see any dollar?

No.

Its a good job the majority of us are doing it for the love of creating music and sharing it!

Music for TV and film might be an option to make money from just creating music if you get lucky enough for it to be used in advertising – it worked for Moby and his Play album, but then again, he wasn’t exactly a nobody! :unsure:

[quote]slender (11/05/2011)[hr]Damn better cancel the Ferrari[/quote]

It was a blow up one :slight_smile: