Arps

I just don’t seem to be able to get them to sit well in tracks I’m working on.br
br
I mean I essentially understand their function and construction but getting an arp pattern to sit well in a track seems never to work for me. The same could be said for sequencers I think.br
br
Does anyone have any tips on how they use/incorporate them into their own productions? For example, do you build the bass and/or beats first then add an arp before you add other melodic content?br
br
Maybe the SA guys could do a small feature on arps in general?

Hey manbr
br
I think ARP work like that :br
br
ARP up : Key - key+0,5tone - Key+1 tonebr
ARP UP Down : Key - key+0,5 - key - key-0,5br
and ARP down…br
br
So if you use a scale it can be wrong…br
br
For the sequencer it’s different ; u can do exactly what you want in therm of keys.br
In fact sequencer is more performant than arp.br
br
Listen Dona summer - I feel love.br
br
That is a sequencer.br
Some sequencer are called ARP i think, like in FM8.br
br
As a matter of fact use sequencer if you can, and forget arp.

Thanks Marcbr
br
And Phil what do you think about a little feature on arps?

when you make your arp, are you making it an actual arpeggio? An arpeggio is a chord that is broken up into individual notes. set up the actual chord and play each note independently. br
br
-r

yup!br
br
My main problem is getting arps or sequences to sit right with other melodic parts. It’s nothing to do with being out of key or anything like that and I fully understand the theory of what an arp is.br
br
I’m wondering whether people build melodic content starting with an arp first and then adding other tonal parts or vice versa. Also, I wouldn’t mind, if the Sonic guys will do it, a short theory video (or videos) on the various uses of arps in tracks whatever the genre.

ahh, i get it. i guess, for me, playing guitar for so long the idea of arpeggios just kinda comes naturally. it’s hard to describe how i do it. other than, i just take the chord sequence and think about how to make it rhythmic and melodic at the same time.br
br
i think a tutorial on arps would be amazing. what a great idea.br
br
-r