Baby Steps

Hello everyone,

I really hope this is in the right place, but I’m a complete noob when it comes to this forum and creating electronic music in general, and I was hoping if some of you guys could come forward and maybe point me in the right direction. I’ve obtained Ableton after a friend recommended it, and just feel overwhelmed. I have lots of experience in music theory and have played several instruments for the past 14 years, but this is a whole new beast. I haven’t had time to look into the tutorial video section yet, but any advice and pointers would mean so much.

Cheers,

T

Welcome Mr T - first I would reccomend that you subscribe and watch the beginners guide to Ableton tutorials, afyer that just ask away someone will be more than happy to help - regardless if your new to production or not

I;ve been using Ableton for nearly a year and still learning :slight_smile:

Yeah, the ‘Make Music with Ableton Live 6’ course helped me out a lot when I was first learning ableton’s interface.

http://www.sonicacademy.com/Producer/Course//Make_Music_with_Ableton_Live_6.cid2089

If you have any specific questions after watching some of the videos we’d be happy to help, like slender said. Also, if you tell us what kind of music you’re interested in making it might help us to recommend some tutorials for you to watch or what specific techniques you should focus on learning.

Good luck and welcome :wink:

Much obliged gentelmen. I’m hoping to crank out some progressive house in the near future, and eventually dip my feet in some dubstep. If I have any questions after watching some videos I will no doubt return and query you fine folks.

Thanks again,

T

Read the Ableton Manual and subscribe to SA. They have videos for all the styles you mentioned.

Man your in the best place to learn! Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Things can take a while to get used to but keep at it

Welcome to the forum! This is a great community and everyone is always happy to help, so do stay involved.

Perhaps you can even share your knowledge of theory with us! :slight_smile:

Get watching the beginners video on Ableton first so you get to grips with the basics, ignore the fact it says Ableton Live 6, you’ll be able to follow along fine in your version:

[url=http://www.sonicacademy.com/Producer/Course//Make_Music_with_Ableton_Live_6.cid2089]http://www.sonicacademy.com/Producer/Course//Make_Music_with_Ableton_Live_6.cid2089[/url]

Then once you’ve finished with that course, move on to the other videos.

I started in the tuts that came with ableton - look at help and it will tell u how to use it, well the basics anyway, and thats free cause its with ableton already.

Obvisouly the tuts on here when u subscribe

Thank you all so much. I’ll no doubt subscribe at my earliest convenience and look forward to doing my part on the forum.

Cheers,

T

Those videos are a must plus there are a few floating around on the net that may also help with the type of music you want to create.

On here just ask away with parts your stuck and im sure someone will be able to give you a hand