Being too critical on yourself

I was just wondering if anyone else ever feels that they are too critical on their own work. I just sometimes listen to tracks of mine that have done well or got signed or even won a competition and it doesnt sit right with me i always hear little things that i would change etc. When im making the tracks tho im in love with them and think their destined to be world no 1’s lol i usually feel the critisism in me when i listen back to them after a few weeks. Anyone else have this, its not a huge deal but its definate a confidence knocker and sometimes i actually get scared to send stuff out. Anyone ne ideas?

Change your username & add an avatar for halloween Jan & you’ll feel better.

wel this is a massive problem for me, especially since i’ve only been producing, like 6 or

7 month. i’ve got no idea when its time to send something away, because realistically

all the best tracks are usually the most simple tracks!!!

Lol that would cheer me up. Howd ya do it?

Nice one Jan!!

Go into Control Panel.

Left hand side of screen. Scroll down.

Registration Details: You’ll see your username in there.

Edit Avatar. Stick your Pic in there.

If you want to make amazing music, you will have to be critical on yourself. To me, my music is never good enough. It can always be better.

[quote]jjdejong0 (29/10/2010)[hr]I was just wondering if anyone else ever feels that they are too critical on their own work. I just sometimes listen to tracks of mine that have done well or got signed or even won a competition and it doesnt sit right with me i always hear little things that i would change etc. When im making the tracks tho im in love with them and think their destined to be world no 1’s lol i usually feel the critisism in me when i listen back to them after a few weeks. Anyone else have this, its not a huge deal but its definate a confidence knocker and sometimes i actually get scared to send stuff out. Anyone ne ideas?[/quote]

I do feel the same way. there is some stuff that i listen to it. sounds horrible !! and i guess is because i learned and trained my hearing better than before . i think that is a good sign that u are improving IMO.

Someone once said “Art is never finished, it’s abandoned” I think the same can be said for the creative art of music production!

If it’s signed or it’s won a competition, move on … there’s another kick *** track fighting to come out!:wink:

Well the fact you are on Sonic Academy puts you into the pool of people that want to keep learning about music and production. The more you learn the more you come across and like and your opinion will change as will your taste. Just look at it this way, do you think your current track is as good as or better than your last track in your opinion? If it is it means you are on the path to better things and that’s all you need to know.

We hear our music around 1000 times per track after that many times you are going to lose interest in it so don’t beat yourself up.

Yeah i think every poduction i make is better than the one that came before it. I think a huge part is that you listen to the track so many times that your ears grow tired of it. But i guess once its signed your better to move on lol.

[quote]jjdejong0 (30/10/2010)[hr]Yeah i think every poduction i make is better than the one that came before it. I think a huge part is that you listen to the track so many times that your ears grow tired of it. But i guess once its signed your better to move on lol.[/quote]

+1

im still super critical and dont think im anywhere near where i would like to be production wise.

I have developed a few bad habbits. I think i always making things to extreem… Like over do stuff… You will no doubt hear it in the tutorials.

I also get frustraited towrds the end of tunes… Just need to knucle down and make sure i soend the time fixing and tweaking to perfection.

Since we bought sonic ive got way more into dance music than i had been for a long time.

Am working on a project where i have been spending a lot more time on tunes and trying to get them up to totaly professional standard which i havnt really done in a few years… Hopefully this will start feeding through to the tutorials more.

Ill be doing some indepth walkthroughs when the deals n stuff are done. Defo some of the best tracks ive made in years… Basicly thanks to you guys pushing me to reaserch liads and rasie my own bar. So cheers.

Excellent news Phil - Cant wait to hear them. What sort of direction are they?

I’m kinda the same & opposite. I find that I too now find it hard to get past the 3/4 mark on a track. Getting better though. For a long time I had loopitis.

To be fair, the main cause of that was that I wasnt completely happy with the overall “sound” of things. I now look back on this time as simply practice.

Where I’m opposite now (in a way…) is that I dont give 2 sh!ts how it sounds now & I’m able to move on as a result. Dont get me wrong, I spend as much time as anyone trying to get everything as right as I can, but I dont get hung up on it anymore. The best I can do is the best that I can do.

Totally happy with that. It’ll get better & better as time goes on. But I always think of those Detroit Guys. Some really great music & sometimes gritty as f u c k.

As long as you have good ideas & the production has a little grit, rather than sh!t - then its all good. I want to have a little character in my stuff - rather than a load of totally sterile sounds.

I don’t there is one track I have done what I am 100% happy with if I am honest and that inc’s my early tracks when I even used a engineer before I had my production set up.

I am also finding that my tracks are getting far to serious ie the production is there but there is no stand out/fun about them, just hoping now that the production stays and the fun comes back!

I been producing for over 10 months now and like most of you guys I am super critical of my work.  I tend to overdo a lot of things instead of keeping them simple. 

I have found that going back to some of my old projects, after 6 months or something I realize that some of my unfinished work is actually a lot better than I remembered! :wink:

Yeah I get this too. I’m almost always unhappy with it to some degree, but possiblty due to the fatigue of hearing it over and over.

When I re-visit older stuff I’m often less disappointed than I thought I would be :stuck_out_tongue:

I also listen to other peoples amateur productions with a much more constructive and positive attitude than my own I find!

I rip my tunes to pieces, never happy with them, go over thing again and again until I’m 100% happy, in the past I never moved on to the next part of the tune until I was happy with the current section however I now lay out much as poss and then go back and tweek - help me finish a tune instead of leaving it hlaf finished like I do way to much.