BIG Producers That Don't Give F**K Anymore

So I was justnbsp;wondering who you guys feel have been releasing crap music in the last year or so, butnbsp;were really fresh and great in the past?nbsp;Please list name and why…/PPMy Top 3/PP1. Afrojack- I swear all his music sounds identical and as he just uses the same arrangement, sound design over and over. Its just getting annoying! Yes, we understand you know how to make your songs loud as possible and distorted to ****/PP2. R3HAB- His original stuff was really good and now its just the same chainsaw after chainsaw after chainsaw. Please don’t just take the last 10 templates of your projects and call it a different song …thank you/PP3. David Guetta- Man, if anyone doesn’t seem to give a **** about anything… its this guys. I doubt that he produces anything anymore and taking another Nicki Minaj track over a 4/4 beat is going to make me puke. Im sure he so talened, idk why he keeps making crap after crap.

Armin and Tiesto have both fallen into this category, it’s unfortunate but I guess they’re chasing the money, which means producing chart turd for the masses. br
br

I have to say, i think what Armin has done in the last few years especially, is so disappointing - i speak as someone who has fond memories of seeing Armin play back in 1998 at a packed 2000-capacity Gods Kitchen event at The Sanctuary in Digbeth, Birmingham, UK! His set was pretty magical back then and he had the crowd in the palm of his hands, and i remember his set being pretty diverse and dynamic.br
br
But now his productions are just pure cheese, and clearly done just to try and make as much money as possible. Totally generic, completely un-unique! And they all seem to sound pretty much the same!br
br
Yes these guys you have mentioned are doing it to chase money, but there is also another factor at play here - because all the money now is playing gigs around the world, they just don’t spend as much time in the studio as they used to, which means that their productions are always going to be more generic and less-inspired.br
br
This is the problem with having a dance music industry where the only way you can make decent money is by DJ-ing!br
br
br
br

Yeah I remember going to one of Armins first ever UK gigs at Passion, he’d just made communication I think, which is what got him booked. His sets then were amazing, great programming and progression in his tune selection. I saw him at Amnesia last year and it was just a load of chart trance / big room house fumbled together in no particular order, but everybody was loving it, I was just standing there really struggling to get into it. Probably looked like a right miserable sod but it just didn’t do it for me whatsoever.br
br
The need of the big DJs to stick a big vocal across everything, generally somebody well known so they can have Armin Feat. etc… really gets on my tits.

How old are you then mate?br
br
I am guessing you are almost as old as me (36) if you went to see Armin when he had just released Communication!br
br
Have you just started producing? - I see you posted a track for Phil to listen to.

I’m 34.br
br
I’ve been going clubbing since I was pretty young, 14 first rave, went to the Gallery at 17 which really got me into house/trancebr
br
I used to DJ a bit, played at ministry once (back room unfortunately), and for a Serious members party, that kind of thing. br
br
Then I bought a sh*t load of production equipment, Nord Lead3, Virus, novation synths, dynaudio monitors etc… spent a fortune but just never really used it properly. All the gear and no idea!! br
br
I sold all that apart from the monitors but recently set myself up again, so trying to make a proper go of it this time around.br
br
What about you, been doing it long? br
br
sorry djstoli hijacking your thread here…

Yeah about 6 years now!br
br
No wonder going to the Gallery at Turnmills got you into the whole clubbing thing - that place was amazing!br
br
Shame when it closed down.br
br
You should stick at it this time, this place is great for learning all the tricks of the trade!

I walked past the Turnmills site this morning, made me feel quite sad to see an empty hole in the ground!br
br
Yeah this place is great, problem was when I first started out there was nothing like this available, so you just had to try and work it out for yourself, which was so time consuming. I had a session with Steve Helstrip (thrilseekers) once which helped out with the the kind of elements that make up a track, but we never went into any of the dynamics or mastering stuff. I listened back to some old stuff the other day, and it was really quite horrific! Will get there this time though.br
br
br
br

[quote]davidmclean (06/06/2013)[hr]IYes these guys you have mentioned are doing it to chase money, but there is also another factor at play here - because all the money now is playing gigs around the world, they just don’t spend as much time in the studio as they used to, which means that their productions are always going to be more generic and less-inspired.BRBRThis is the problem with having a dance music industry where the only way you can make decent money is by DJ-ing![/quote]/PPgood point!/PParmin and some of these big names should spend a little more time in the studio though. especially armin. he’s worth millons./PPhe’d better due it before his name turns into: o yea that’s the guy puts out cheesy trance now. /PPsooner or later bad and/or predictable playlists will catch up with you.

True! I think we have kind of hit a stage now where alot of people in the dane music industry just simply don’t care about whether they are being cheesy or just chasing the commercial dream.br
br
But like you say, i do think that once the EDM bubble birsts, some of the producers and DJ’s who have stayed truer to their roots and shown a greater degree of integrity throughout this whole EDM thing, might be taken a bit more seriously once things calm down and people start appreciating the finer points of dance music and clubbing again!br
br
One things for sure - it’s going to be interesting to see what happens over the next 5-10 years!

and if you are one of those big name producers andnbsp;you’re surrounded by producers representing your name make sure they are as awesome as the name you built yourself./PPi saw carl cox and friends at elecrtic daisy carnival in ny. henbsp;and his friends were awesome i mean just awesome. and this guy as been around for a while! staying very true to his roots! so it can be done. :wink:

You’re right Carl Cox could have easily gone commercial cause he has a big enough name in the scene.br
br
But obviously just loves his techno too much. I remember seeing him and Michel de Hey at space a few years back, it was such a quality night.