Can anyone recommend an online music store in the US that will ship to the UK?

looking to get a few thing but it will work out so much cheaper if I can get it from US so can anyone point me somewhere please?

Hey,

Try www.sweetwater.com or www.novamusik.com. These are the main 2 I have used. I am in Australia however, but I am pretty sure both these places ship worldwide.

[quote]gofunk (27/02/2011)[hr]looking to get a few thing but it will work out so much cheaper if I can get it from US so can anyone point me somewhere please?[/quote]

I use B&H out of New York because they’re honest, have good prices, and no tax or shipping charges for me here in Seattle.

However, it looks like there are shipping charges and VAT customs that get charged when shipping internationally…

[url]International Policies | B&H Photo Video

Sorry, but I think this is going to be true for all online stores shipping from the U.S. :sad:

yeah I expect to pay shipping, even so its still cheaper then paying in ££, I found a web page called hollywooddj.com - they have a thing where u can make an offer for price! its great, check it out…

I tried a few site for what I’m looking for but it would seem they cant ship to the UK because the manufactor wont bloody let them! dam it!

If its heavy Good luck getting it through customs! Especially if they write the value on the box!

I’ve never had an issue with that before, not to big anyway + it would be insured by UPS or DHL or something…

Do you not always have to pay some form of import tax/VAT?

VAT mate yes but its still miles cheaper

Just been looking at the Machine - still works out alot cheaper

You will need to pay import VAT at 20% and also Customs duty. You would have to ask hm revenue to find out the tax rate on the goods you are importing but it can be anywhere from 3% - 85%. You will be required to pay customs before you can get your goods.

The only way you can avoid this is if the sender doesn’t declare the value of the goods, but this is illegal (smuggling) and not recommended, it is also unlikely that a seller would do this. Some people get someone in the US to buy stuff, then package it up and mid label, but again I wouldn’t recommend this.

mid label?

[quote]gofunk (27/02/2011)[hr]mid label?[/quote]

Yeah, it kinda sounds like a real thing, but it was a typo! It should be miss labeled.

It is worth pointing out that if there were large savings to be made this way then the more dodgy resellerers would be doing it and the a cheaper price would be available here.

Edit: although I would be interested to know if I am proved wrong. :slight_smile:

well i shall enquire aboout extra charges tomorrow my friend n let u know

[quote]gofunk (27/02/2011)[hr]looking to get a few thing but it will work out so much cheaper if I can get it from US so can anyone point me somewhere please?[/quote]

What kind of stuff you looking for Wayne? There are million music stores and shops in the US?

think I’m gonna try this krk ergo thing, found a place called hollywooddj.com which seem to have really good prices, unless you know anywhere else?

[quote]TheAnt (27/02/2011)[hr]You will need to pay import VAT at 20% and also Customs duty. You would have to ask hm revenue to find out the tax rate on the goods you are importing but it can be anywhere from 3% - 85%. You will be required to pay customs before you can get your goods.

The only way you can avoid this is if the sender doesn’t declare the value of the goods, but this is illegal (smuggling) and not recommended, it is also unlikely that a seller would do this. Some people get someone in the US to buy stuff, then package it up and mid label, but again I wouldn’t recommend this.[/quote]

True, if not a little dramatic.

I’ve received items from outside of the EU (US, Hong Kong etc) for review and whatnot. They either mark a low value on it, or state the items as ‘review items’ or ‘demo units’ and I’ve never had to pay any duty etc (and these are expensive enough items). That low value could legitimately be their ‘cost’ value.

It can happen though of course. Ironically the one time I had to pay duty was when I ‘won’ a Zune MP3 from the US, and they just posted it over. Got stung for about £17 on that, no biggie though.

I’d say it’s a numbers game. Somethings they will pick out, some they wont. The worst thing that will happen is that you have to pay the duty - which they will kindly tell you the amount of in their correspondence.

[quote]bangthedj (28/02/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (27/02/2011)[hr]You will need to pay import VAT at 20% and also Customs duty. You would have to ask hm revenue to find out the tax rate on the goods you are importing but it can be anywhere from 3% - 85%. You will be required to pay customs before you can get your goods.

The only way you can avoid this is if the sender doesn’t declare the value of the goods, but this is illegal (smuggling) and not recommended, it is also unlikely that a seller would do this. Some people get someone in the US to buy stuff, then package it up and mid label, but again I wouldn’t recommend this.[/quote]

True, if not a little dramatic.

I’ve received items from outside of the EU (US, Hong Kong etc) for review and whatnot. They either mark a low value on it, or state the items as ‘review items’ or ‘demo units’ and I’ve never had to pay any duty etc (and these are expensive enough items). That low value could legitimately be their ‘cost’ value.

It can happen though of course. Ironically the one time I had to pay duty was when I ‘won’ a Zune MP3 from the US, and they just posted it over. Got stung for about £17 on that, no biggie though.

I’d say it’s a numbers game. Somethings they will pick out, some they wont. The worst thing that will happen is that you have to pay the duty - which they will kindly tell you the amount of in their correspondence.[/quote]

I may be being a little dramatic, but if you are offering advice on a public forum it is worth being cautious. I have had quite a lot of experience of importing electronic goods from USA to the UK for my business and I have found it expensive every time.

Just to be clear, if you put fake values or incorrectly label what you are shipping and they catch you, they won’t just ask you to pay the duty due, you will at least receive a large fine., and they can set that fine to anything that they want and your options would be pay the fine, or face prosecution.

If you are saying that if you miss label the goods that the risk of being caught is low because there are a lot of packages coming in and they can only search a small percentage of them, then yes that is probably true. There is a low risk of being caught with a high cost if you are caught.

Who will be prosecuted? The receiver of the mis-labeled goods, or the mis-labeller?

Surely the person who writes the price, as otherwise you are liable for something that someone else decides to put.

I’m not advocating this behaviour, but commenting on example situations where it might occur due to it being an item priced at $X but made at a cost of $Y and being sent as a promotional item actually for no money at all.

I am also saying that even correctly labeled goods can go through un-processed, not just the mis-labled ones.

If you are importing for business or regularly its important, the odd one off consumer purchase is different. Ill-informed people must by iPods and the like from abroad all the time, the government just wants its cut, not to screw you.

[quote]bangthedj (28/02/2011)[hr]Who will be prosecuted? The receiver of the mis-labeled goods, or the mis-labeller?

Surely the person who writes the price, as otherwise you are liable for something that someone else decides to put.

I’m not advocating this behaviour, but commenting on example situations where it might occur due to it being an item priced at $X but made at a cost of $Y and being sent as a promotional item actually for no money at all.

I am also saying that even correctly labeled goods can go through un-processed, not just the mis-labled ones.

If you are importing for business or regularly its important, the odd one off consumer purchase is different. Ill-informed people must by iPods and the like from abroad all the time, the government just wants its cut, not to screw you.[/quote]

Ok, I don’t really want to get into an argument over this. My advice is clear, Bang takes a different view. Everybody can make their own minds up about it.

Wayne - I took a look at the linke lattetown sent: http://www.bhphotovideo.com

They do the KRK stuff much cheaper than the UK, but not the NI stuff I am interested in (maybe because it is a US company) and they can organise Duty, VAT, insurance and shipping to the UK so they will be able to give you a bottom line price on it all so you will know how much it is going to cost before you order. The price difference on the ergo is so much that I think you will still make a good saving.

yeah but KRK have put restrictions on sending to the UK so I’m gonna have to get it sent to someone in the US and forwarded to me… I found another site where I can get it for $340 which is $100 cheaper then B&H!! I priced up VAT and Shipping and in pounds it will cost me a total of about £300, so I’m saving a wopping £200! Not bad eh, not bad at all! Check out hollywooddj.com, much cheapness